RII30815 – Certificate III in Civil Construction Plant Operations – RPL

01 Jun RII30815 – Certificate III in Civil Construction Plant Operations – RPL

If you have a wide range of experience as an excavator and are able to safely operate a number of civil constructions plants but haven’t completed your qualification for whatever reason, than you’re in the right place.

This includes knowing how to operate one the following plants:
• skid steer loader
• backhoe/loader
• excavator
• wheeled front end loader
• tracked front end loader
• dozer
• grader
• scraper
• pipe layer

as well as any two of the following:
• paver
• stabilizer
• telescopic materials handler
• integrated tool carrier
• tractor
• civil construction water cart
• continuous bucket trencher
• belly dump truck
• articulated truck
• rigid haul truck
• tip truck

Getting your trade skills recognised is simple, fast and headache free! We will help you attain the right units you need a nationally recognised qualification and for your Excavation licence.

What's involved?

1. Free Skills Assessment

You need to have valid industry experience in order to qualify for this RPL program. When you first touch base, we will help you identify your skills and advise on whether this qualification is right for you. As a rule of thumb if you have more than 2 years experience in your field, then you are likely to be eligible.

2. Evidence Portfolio
  • Valid Identification
  • list showing relevant employment history
  • work samples and documents (tender documents, invoices, quotations, plans, sketches etc)
  • letter of employment
  • reference letters from qualified tradesmen
  • photos and videos of your work
  • overseas qualifications
  • related licenses, short courses, accreditation, certificates, transcripts or assessments you have attained
  • Apprenticeship papers (if available)
3. Skills Check
  1. You will be having a conversation covering questions for each unit with our qualified assessor
  2. The assessor will perform a practical observation to ensure safe use of the plants you use
  3. Where gap training is required, you will need to complete theory or practical assessments as required. Theory components can be completed from home and practical components can be completed at your work site.
4. Qualified!

All certificates are Nationally Recognised and issued by a Qualify Me! partner college. Now you can grab that licence!


Upon successful completion of this rpl program you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification in:

Certificate III in Civil Construction Plant Operations



Scope of work

Excavating: The removal of earth or rock to previously determined excavation lines and levels to form a hole or trench for structural supports or for walls and/or floors of a building and/or structural landscaping work.

Qualifications required

RII30813  Certificate III in Civil Construction Plant Operations


Accessed 12/7/16 from: NSW Fair Trading Excavating Contractor’s licence


Not available in this jurisdiction

Accessed on 13/7/16 from: QBCC Excavating Contractor’s licence


Scope of work

This component of domestic building work is limited to earthworks and excavation work for homes and associated class 10 buildings. It includes a range of site preparation works, the consideration of soil types and classifications and site drainage requirements, and possible consultation with a range of specialists.

Earthworks and excavation is the work undertaken to remove earth, soil, rock and grass roots (to pre-determined excavation lines and levels) to form a hole or trench for:

  • structural supports
  • walls or floors of a building
  • structural landscaping work.

The work must be completed to a standard that ensures the site is appropriately levelled and free of loose earth, vegetation, mud or debris immediately before any required concrete is poured. It must be carried out safely and in a manner that avoids potential damage to adjoining structures and property through the soil collapsing or subsiding.

Qualifications required

RII30813  Certificate III in Civil Construction Plant Operations

Experience Required

You must have capacity to carry out, manage or arrange the following activities in a competent manner and to a professional standard:

  • protecting public assets such as footpaths, driveways and services
  • undertook abolishment of services
  • marking out services and setting out points, including site levels and excavation limits
  • establishing site drainage requirements and drainage systems
  • setting out sub-grade to plan
  • forming earthworks by informing plant operators of job requirements
  • monitoring thickness and moisture content
  • monitoring the stabilisation of existing material
  • removing surface area protrusions and placing geo-synthetic material
  • placing and compacting sub-grade replacement materials
  • digging excavations to ensure the correct route, line and depth from site plans and instructions
  • installing trench/excavation support

Accessed 13/7/16 from: VBA Domestic Builder Excavating Licence


Not available in this jurisdiction

Accessed on 13/7/16 from: ACT Excavating Contractor’s licence


Not available in this jurisdiction

Accessed on 13/7/16 from: WA Excavating Contractor’s licence


Scope of work

All forms of earthworks without restriction. Site preparation, excavating and trenching associated with residential and commercial building work and all earthworks associated with civil construction.

Qualifications required

Building work supervisor interview, however holding a Certificate III in Civil Construction plant Operations may help

Accessed 13/7/16 from: SA CBS Excavating contractor’s licence


Not available in this jurisdiction

Accessed on 13/7/16 from: TAS Excavating Contractor’s licence


Not available in this jurisdiction

Accessed on 13/7/16 from: NT Excavating Contractor’s licence

Can I apply?

This RPL and trade skills recognition program is available to tradesmen with local experience or local students that have completed partial studies in Australia. We also have programs to help migrants fast-track their qualifications providing they have relevant experience, qualifications and well aware of the Australian standards and requirements.

Ready to start?

What are you waiting for? Contact Us today. Free call: 1800 765 295

  • Jeremy Farnham
    Posted at 05:06h, 11 March Reply

    hello, I have 5 years of experience? Do i qualify?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 11:21h, 11 March Reply

      Definitely sounds like you would have what it takes. Take the Free Skills Assessment and we will check it out.

  • Joshua kanny
    Posted at 22:53h, 06 July Reply

    I’m in Western Australia and have 14 years experience as an owner operator can I get more information please

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 01:17h, 07 July Reply

      That’s some serious experience you have behind you. A course advisor will touch base shortly.

Post A Comment

Not what you're after? See all our qualifications:

This qualification is provided by our partner RTO. For more details click here.

Let's Get You Started

Supporting Breast Cancer Research