RPL Certificate III in Commercial Cookery

29 May RPL Certificate III in Commercial Cookery

To become a qualified cook (chef) in Australia, you need to complete a Certificate III in Hospitality (Commercial Cookery)… or to become a head chef you’ll need to look at a Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery. We can help you take your career to the next level. We can also help you with your Diploma and Advanced Diploma of Hospitality. Here’s how it all works…

Qualify Me! chef RPL programs are available to cooks with a minimum of 2-3 years experience in the field or for those with overseas qualifications. You will also be required to complete the Food Safety supervisor certification if you haven’t already done so.

What's involved?

1. Free Skills Assessment

You need to have valid industry experience in order to qualify for this RPL program. When you first touch base, we will help you identify your skills and advise on whether this qualification is right for you. As a rule of thumb if you have more than 2 years experience in your field, then you are likely to be eligible.

2. Evidence Portfolio
  • Valid Identification
  • Resume: We need your resume showing details of your work history, job description including your duties and places you worked in.
  • list showing relevant employment history
  • letter of employment
  • reference letters: get a reference letter from your current & past employers detailing your job title, your duties, how long you worked there and any special skills you have. Reference letters should show approximately four (4) years experience (in total).
  • photos: The more photos you have the more skills you can show, approx 30 to 40 photographs are needed. You can present photos of special events you participated in, photos of you preparing and cooking poultry, seafood, meats,cakes & yeast goods, hot & cold deserts, vegetables, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes, appetisers and salads. You may also take photos using different equipments in the kitchen, serving customers, food preparation and presentation and the like.
  • videos: This is a great way to show off your skills, no more than 5 videos are required, each video no longer than 6 minutes each. In each video you will show your cooking skills, chopping of fruits and/or veggies, serving customers and food preparation and presentation.
  • a certified copy of your past qualification or transcript that you may have studied in the past. This includes any short courses such as first aid courses or your food safety supervisor (FSS) certificate
  • Other evidence: it’s a good idea to include any other documents as evidence, example: menu’s you wrote, cooked, special events (competitions), assignments or exam papers you completed in the past.
3. Skills Check
  1. You will be having a conversation covering questions for each unit with our qualified assessor
  2. The assessor may choose to also perform a practical observation.
  3. Where gap training is required, you will need to complete theory or practical assessments as required. Theory components can be completed from home and practical components can be completed at your work site.
4. Qualified!

All certificates are Nationally Recognised and issued by a Qualify Me! partner college. Now you can grab that licence!



This qualification provides pathway for you to work as a chef in a restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes and coffee shops, or to run a small business in these sectors.

Chef de partie

A chef de partie’s primary role is to oversee the preparation, cooking, and presentation of meals in a restaurant. Duties associated with this role including directing chefs in their section in preparing, cooking, and presenting culinary dishes; enforcing strict health and hygiene standards in the kitchen; and troubleshooting any problems that may arise


Upon successful completion of this RPL Program you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification in:

Certificate III in Commercial Cookery

Study Pathways

Can I apply?

This RPL and skills recognition program is available to those with local experience or local students that have completed partial studies in Australia. We also have programs to help migrants fast-track their qualifications providing they have relevant experience, qualifications and well aware of the Australian standards and requirements.

Ready to start?

What are you waiting for? Contact Us today. Free call: 1800 765 295

  • Angus scanlain
    Posted at 05:21h, 01 June Reply

    Chef with 19 years cooking experience looking to do rpl to complete cert 3. Cert 1 and some cert 2 and 3 already done.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 06:06h, 01 June Reply

      Wow; that’s some serious experience! Course advisor touching base…

  • Michel Carson
    Posted at 22:59h, 15 June Reply

    I am enquiring about the $ price for this please
    Thank you

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 06:21h, 16 June Reply

      A course advisor should be in touch with you real soon to cover off your situation and discuss our best price guarantee. 🙂

  • Sarbjit
    Posted at 11:48h, 26 July Reply

    I am working as a cook in a busy cafe for last 3 years. And have qualification in Asian cookery certificate 3 and diploma of hospitality. Need to know the procedure for a qualification as a chef in RPL.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 01:24h, 16 October Reply

      Hi Sarbjit,

      Please give us a call on 1800 765 295 for a skills assessment and rundown of the process.

  • Nik
    Posted at 00:54h, 08 September Reply

    Hi I have 2 and half year expirence as a chef in Australia and also 2 years overseas experience so I want to be qualified chef. Can you please sent me what I required to get all certificate as a chef and also information about the price.. thanks

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 05:46h, 12 October Reply

      Hi Nik,

      Please give us a call on 1800 765 295 and we can discuss this with you.

Post A Comment

Not what you're after? See all our qualifications:

This qualification is provided by our partner RTO. For more details click here.

Let's Get You Started

Supporting Breast Cancer Research