SIT40516 – Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery – RPL

29 May SIT40516 – Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery – RPL

This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who have a supervisory or team leading role in the kitchen. They operate independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems.

Qualify Me! chef RPL programs are available to cooks with a minimum of 3-4 years experience in the field or for those with overseas qualifications. You will also be required to complete the Food Safety supervisor certification if you haven’t already done so.

What's involved?

1. Free Skills Assessment

You need to have valid industry experience in order to qualify for this RPL program. When you first touch base, we will help you identify your skills and advise on whether this qualification is right for you. As a rule of thumb if you have more than 3 years experience in your field, then you are likely to be eligible.

2. Evidence Portfolio
  • Valid Identification
  • Resume: We need your resume showing details of your work history, job description including your duties and places you worked in.
  • list showing relevant employment history
  • letter of employment
  • reference letters: get a reference letter from your current & past employers detailing your job title, your duties, how long you worked there and any special skills you have. Reference letters should show approximately three (3) years experience (in total)
  • photos: the more photos you have the more skills you can show, approx 30 to 40 photographs are needed. You can present photos of special events you participated in, photos of you preparing and cooking poultry, seafood, meats,cakes & yeast goods, hot & cold deserts, vegetables, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes, appetisers and salads. You may also take photos using different equipments in the kitchen, serving customers, food preparation and presentation and the like.
  • videos: this is a great way to show off your skills, no more than 5 videos are required, each video no longer than 6 minutes each. In each video you will show your cooking skills, chopping of fruits and/or veggies, serving customers and food preparation and presentation.
  • a certified copy of your past qualification or transcript that you may have studied in the past. This includes any short courses such as first aid courses or your food safety supervisor (FSS) certificate
  • Other evidence: it’s a good idea to include any other documents as evidence
3. Skills Check
  1. You will be having a conversation covering questions for each unit with our qualified assessor
  2. The assessor may choose to also perform a practical observation.
  3. Where gap training is required, you will need to complete theory or practical assessments as required. Theory components can be completed from home and practical components can be completed at your work site.
4. Qualified!

All certificates are Nationally Recognised and issued by a Qualify Me! partner college. Now you can grab that licence!



This qualification provides pathway for you to work as a chef in a restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes and coffee shops, or to run a small business in these sectors.

Chef de partie

A chef de partie’s primary role is to oversee the preparation, cooking, and presentation of meals in a restaurant. Duties associated with this role including directing chefs in their section in preparing, cooking, and presenting culinary dishes; enforcing strict health and hygiene standards in the kitchen; and troubleshooting any problems that may arise


Upon successful completion of this RPL Program you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification in:

Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery

Study Pathways

Can I apply?

This RPL and trade skills recognition program is available to those with local experience or local students that have completed partial studies in Australia. We also have programs to help migrants fast-track their qualifications providing they have relevant experience, qualifications and well aware of the Australian standards and requirements.

Ready to start?

What are you waiting for? Contact Us today. Free call: 1800 765 295

  • Kok Siang Wong
    Posted at 14:03h, 04 June Reply

    I migrated to Australia through my chef profession skill. In that case, i am a qualified chef.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 03:54h, 23 October Reply

      Hi Kok,

      So, are you interested in the cert IV?

  • Charanjit singh
    Posted at 14:34h, 16 June Reply

    Completed cerificate iii in commercial cookery in melbourne im jan 2017. Was doing certificate iv to be completed in july 2017. Was on bridge visa. Ambassy asked some information in pdf file
    Consultant did not care and message remained unread. On last day of bridge visa, this all came into notice. Had to return to india as per law

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 22:01h, 21 June Reply

      Hi Charanjit,
      I’m very sorry to hear this! If you have completed the Australian context requirements of the course we may be able to aid in RPL for remaining couple of units. We would need to look into your transcripts to work this out for you. We would also want to see that you have worked in the industry in Australia and have a solid understating and experience.

  • Linh phan
    Posted at 11:25h, 30 July Reply

    Hi! I completed cer III cookery, diploma hospitality and degree hospitality. I also working as a cook about 3 years ( not full time) while studying
    I want to apply for sponsorship, but the sponsor request me certificate 4 cooker
    is there any ways to sort it out or I have to do formal study cert 4 cookery?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 10:25h, 07 August Reply

      Hi Linh,
      3 years part time is rather shy of the experience requirements for a Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery. Let’s touch base and discuss your options.

  • parshant
    Posted at 05:21h, 19 January Reply

    hi i have certificate 3 and diploma win cookery bur for skill assessment i need certificate 4. i have 5 yers experience in kitchen as chef and cook. i want to about RPL . Thanks

  • Noelle Roberts Mok
    Posted at 13:50h, 12 August Reply

    I am currently working as a chef and food coordinator for a 100 place child care center. I am solely in charges of Food Hygiene and safety of center’s main kitchen and other 3 kitchenettes.. My objective upon receiving the. Cert 4 is to apply for training and assessments if possible so as to look into being a home economics teacher if possible. Kindly advice what is my option and what if the fees and if there is an instalment payment options.
    Kindest Regards

    ps: preferred time of telecommunications is after 2pm Western Australia standard time

  • Mahesh Raj Dhakal
    Posted at 22:57h, 12 November Reply

    I am currently working as a Head Chef, I had done Commercial Cookery III (RPL) from TAFE NSW and Diploma in Culinary Arts. is this will support to complete level IV? and what is more evidence required? I have 10+ year experience.

  • Rakshitha
    Posted at 10:28h, 19 December Reply

    Hi, pls let me know the fee to get assessed and qualified as cert 3 or 4 in commercial cookery for rpl.

Post A Reply to Kok Siang Wong Cancel Reply

Not what you're after? See all our qualifications:

This qualification is provided by our partner RTO. For more details click here.

Let's Get You Started

Supporting Breast Cancer Research