10 Aug CHC50113 – Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care
In the space dedicated to childcare courses, the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care will provide you with the certification and qualification you need to pursue a successful career in children’s services. It covers a range of institutions including preschools, family day care centres, kindergartens and occasional day care centres.
The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care will teach you the skills and knowledge you need to supervise staff who are responsible for taking care of children, ensure the work environment is safe and secure, coordinate workplace activities, and develop and implement inclusive policies. Through a combination of theory and practice, this course will give you all the tools you need to progress to a successful career in the childcare industry. This is not your usual child care course, in fact, each work placement will offer you an opportunity to develop practical skills under the watchful eye of a qualified and experienced childcare professional.
- Course duration: 12 months
- Total unit requirement: 28, consisting of 23 core units and 5 elective units that must be achieved over three stages, which are outlined below.
- Operate in accordance with the legal, regulatory, and ethical framework.
- Identify children and youths who may be at risk and take appropriate action.
- Implement actions and practices in accordance with an approved framework.
- Ensure the children and young people under your care are safe at all times.
- Provide appropriate care for babies, toddlers, and children.
- Provide children under your care with healthy and nutritious food and drink.
- Interact with children in a positive and encouraging manner.
- Exhibit cultural competence at all times.
- Work productively with children of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent and their families.
- Provide appropriate emergency first aid as and when required.
- Manage workload and priorities appropriately.
- Compile complex documents.
- Ensure the workplace health and safety requirements are maintained.
- Deliver a safe and healthy care environment for children.
- Focus on developing early years children at a holistic level.
- Nurture children’s creativity.
- Develop and implement a robust and effective curriculum that adequately fosters children’s learning and development.
- Reflect on professional practice and identify areas for development.
- Ensure the information needs of the community are respected and met.
- Advance children’s agency.
- Work closely with family members and guardians to ensure the education and care delivered to children is appropriate and meets their needs.
- Develop and implement measures by which cooperative behaviour can be fostered.
- Ensure strategies are inclusive and respect the needs of all children.
- Entrench sustainable working practices in service operations.
- Ensure education and care services are fully compliant with requirements.
- Analyse the information and data that is available when developing learning interventions.
- Design, develop and implement appropriate policies.
Course Load and Nominal hours
|Module number||Code||Core / Elective||Unit of Competency||Nominal Hours|
|First Aid||HLTAID004||Core||Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting||20|
|CHCLEG001||Core||Work legally and ethically||40|
|CHCPRT001||Core||Identify and respond to children and young people at risk||30|
|CHCECE005||Core||Provide care for babies and toddlers||120*||40|
|CHCECE004||Core||Promote and provide healthy food and drink||20|
|CHCECE002||Core||Ensure the health and safety of children||50|
|CHCECE003||Core||Provide care for children||120*||40|
|Cluster 3||CHCECE009||Core||Use an approved learning framework to guide practice||15|
|CHCECE007||Core||Develop positive and respectful relationships with children||120*||50|
|CHCECE001||Core||Develop cultural competence||30|
|CHCDIV002||Core||Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety||20|
|CHCECE023||Core||Analyse information to inform learning||70|
|CHCECE022||Core||Promote children’s agency||60|
|CHCECE017||Core||Foster the holistic development and wellbeing of the child in early childhood||240*||130|
|CHCECE018||Core||Nurture creativity in children||70|
|CHCECE020||Core||Establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour||40|
|CHCECE024||Core||Design and implement the curriculum to foster children’s learning and development||240*||160|
|CHCECE026||Core||Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children||40|
|CHCECE021||Core||Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children||40|
|Cluster 7||CHCECE019||Core||Facilitate compliance in an education and care services||120*||50|
|CHCECE016||Core||Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children||40|
|CHCECE025||Core||Embed sustainable practices in service organisations||50|
|HLTWHS003||Core||Maintain workplace health and safety||40|
|CHCMGT003||Elective||Lead the work team||60|
|CHCPOL002||Elective||Develop and implement policy||70|
|CHCORG627B||Elective||Provide mentoring support to colleagues||38|
|CHCPRP003||Elective||Reflect on and improve own professional practice||80|
|CHCINM002||Elective||Meet community information needs||50|
|BSBINN502||Elective||Build and sustain an innovative work environment||50|
|BSBLED401||Elective||Develop teams and individuals||40|
Students who complete the Diploma in Childcare will be provided with a nationally recognised certification in the form of a Diploma of Early Childhood Education & Care
Rewarding and fun career options include:
Childcare team leader, Manager, Director of a child care centre or nanny.
Childcare positions are available at:
Pre-schools & Kindergartens
Before and after school care
Family day care, Occasional Childcare in hotels, resorts, cruise ships, etc.
Ready to start?
The Federal Government has recognised a national skills shortage for qualified child care workers. With more and more child care centres opening up to meet the demands of working families, this shortage is likely to increase. Among the many child care courses our Diploma of Childcare is highly recognised and well received by the top players in the industry.
This means that there are many employment opportunities for qualified child care workers – so get qualified and kick start your career!
What are you waiting for? Contact Us today. Free call: 1800 765 295. Not what you’re after? See all our qualifications: www.qualifyme.edu.au/qualifications .