RPL Certificate III in Carpentry

28 May RPL Certificate III in Carpentry

If you have a wide range of experience as a carpenter but haven’t completed your qualification for whatever reason, than you’re in the right place. Getting your trade skills recognised is simple, fast and headache free! We will help you attain the right units you need a nationally recognised qualification and for your Carpentry contractor’s licence.

What's involved?

1. Free Skills Assessment

You need to have valid industry experience in order to qualify for this RPL program. When you first touch base, we will help you identify your skills and advise on whether this qualification is right for you. As a rule of thumb if you have more than 2 years experience in your field, then you are likely to be eligible.

2. Evidence Portfolio
  • Valid Identification
  • list showing relevant employment history
  • work samples and documents (tender documents, invoices, quotations, plans, sketches etc)
  • letter of employment
  • reference letters from licensed carpenters you have worked with
  • photos and videos of your work
  • overseas qualifications
  • related licenses, short courses, accreditation, certificates, transcripts or assessments you have attained
  • Apprenticeship papers (if available)
3. Skills Check
  1. You will be having a conversation covering questions for each unit with our qualified assessor
  2. The assessor may choose to also perform a practical observation.
  3. Where gap training is required, you will need to complete theory or practical assessments as required. Theory components can be completed from home and practical components can be completed at your work site.
4. Qualified!

All certificates are Nationally Recognised and issued by a Qualify Me! partner college. Now you can grab that licence!


Upon successful completion of this rpl program you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification in:

Certificate III in Carpentry



Scope of work

Carpentry work involves cutting and placing timber, or timber composites, in construction work on site to erect framing and fix components or assemblies used in construction work such as stairs, windows, doors, wallboards (excluding plaster boards which is dry plastering), floors, etc. It includes the erection of metal framing and the construction of formwork in preparation for concreting.


Qualifications required

CPC30211 Certificate III in Carpentry


Accessed 12/7/16 from: NSW Fair Trading Carpentry contractor’s licence


Scope of work

Construct and erect timber and steel wall framing and roof structure, construct and erect non-load bearing internal partition walls, Install windows and doors including framing, erect ceiling and subfloor framing, install timber and sheet flooring, install exterior cladding, fascias and soffits, install metal roofing, construct timber stairs, fix internal linings, panelling and mouldings, install door and window locks and furniture, restore and renovate doors, windows and frames, install fitments, concreting to simple forms including install formwork, reinforcement and concrete, erect and strip formwork including slip form and jump form formwork.


Qualifications required

CPC30111 Certificate III in Carpentry

Plus Approved Managerial Course

Accessed on 12/7/16 from: QBCC Carpentry contractor’s licence



Scope of work

Carpentry involves the construction, alteration, renovation and repair of homes, carports, garages, pergolas, decks, verandas and similar structures, and includes any site works, work required to gain access to the site, and the removal of any impediments to access to the site.

You must have capacity to carry out, manage or arrange the following activities in a competent manner and to a professional standard: · fixing strip flooring · erecting, altering and dismantling formwork for stair and ramps erecting, altering and dismantling the formwork


Qualifications required

Certificate III in Carpentry will satisfy some of the technical knowledge required for this licence.


Experience Required

Participation in the construction of non-habitable building structures (above ground and free standing) for two different residential projects, including one that involved installing masonry. This work can include:

  • planning and setting out the construction of non-habitable buildings and structures
  • installing footings, slabs and set out for non-habitable buildings and structures
  • erecting framing for non-habitable buildings and structures
  • installing masonry work for non-habitable buildings and structures
  • constructing retaining walls where they are part of the non-habitable structure
  • installing compliant doors and windows

Participation in constructing timber framing for three homes. This work can include:

  • constructing framing for ceilings and roofs, floors and walls including load bearing and non-load bearing walls o installing wall and ceiling linings including wet area lining
  • constructing framing for external decking and verandas o constructing framing for sub-floors
  • installing sheet flooring o constructing framing for and installing doors and windows

Participation in constructing and installing internal staircases for at least two homes

  • Three examples of your participation in constructing and installing cabinets and their associated hardware
  • Three examples of your participation in selecting and applying waterproofing to bathrooms, kitchens, laundries or the like

Participation in constructing one safety barrier for a swimming pool or spa

  • Two examples of your participation in erecting, altering and dismantling formwork for stairs and ramps, and suspended slabs, columns, beams or walls

The following Australian Standards:

  • AS 2870 Residential slabs and footings
  • AS/NZS 4505 Garage doors and other large access doors


Construction of Gates and Fences

Scope of Work

This component of domestic building work is limited to the construction of gates and fences for homes. It involves planning, preparing, setting out and installing different types of fence and gate to a home. It includes constructing and dismantling all types of fencing of any type of material, and associated manual and automatic gates, including safety barriers for swimming pools and spas.


Qualification Requirement

Certificate III in Carpentry will satisfy some of the technical knowledge required for this licence.


Experience Requirement

You must have capacity to carry out, manage or arrange the following activities in a competent manner and to a professional standard:

  • setting out the fence line in consultation with land surveyor or property owner
  • dismantling existing fences and gates according to job specifications
  • determining bracing on gates
  • installing a prefabricated/modular fence and associated gates
  • installing hardware and operable components, including opening systems
  • mixing, placing and finishing concrete appropriate to the work.

Accessed 12/7/16 from: VIC Carpentry contractor’s licence


Not licensed in this jurisdiction.

Accessed 12/7/16 from: ACT Bricklaying Licence


Not licensed in this jurisdiction.

Accessed 12/7/16 from: WA Carpentry Licence


Scope of work

1st fix carpentry including floor, wall and roof framing, verandahs, pergolas, carports and decks using timber. 2nd fix carpentry including the installation of doors and door hardware, locks, architraves and skirting and the installation of eaves, screen doors, screens, bi-fold doors and operable walls and bathroom fittings. Light steel framing, defined as pressed metal framing in which the width and thickness of the members doesn’t exceed 100mm and some structural steel where required in timber framed construction. No limitation of height or class of building.


Qualifications required

CPC30211 Certificate III in Carpentry

and Trade Certificate


Accessed 12/7/16 from: SA CBS Carpentry contractor’s licence


Not licensed in this jurisdiction.

Accessed 12/7/16 from: TAS Bricklaying Licence


Not licensed in this jurisdiction.

Accessed 12/7/16 from: NT Bricklaying Licence

Can I apply?

This RPL and trade skills recognition program is available to tradesmen with local experience or local students that have completed partial studies in Australia. We also have programs to help migrants fast-track their qualifications providing they have relevant experience, qualifications and well aware of the Australian standards and requirements.

Ready to start?

What are you waiting for? Contact Us today. Free call: 1800 765 295

  • Manoj Ramphal
    Posted at 05:50h, 22 June Reply

    how can I get registration and recognition for my trade as carpenter.
    I have oversees carpentry experience and thinking of moving here to Australia.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 00:51h, 23 October Reply

      Hi Manoj,

      Unfortunately, we will require you to have 12 months in Australia.

  • Joel Gibson
    Posted at 10:11h, 26 June Reply

    Hey there, I’ve been working as a carpenter for a few years, juggling between residential, set building, festival stage design and now I’ve just opened up my own furniture making workshop. I’m working 4 days a week with a builder as a carpenter doing architectural builds and want to get qualified.



    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 05:05h, 29 June Reply


      Sounds like you’ve been keeping yourself busy! You may want to consider our Carpentry and Joinery RPL Program. It will cover both your furniture building and carpentry experience.

  • George Buchanan
    Posted at 14:23h, 02 July Reply

    Joel actually sounds a lot like my partner and I. We are keen to get our builders licences but what we both have is a bachelor degree in dramatic art – props construction. We also own our own company in which we build things for events, tv and theatre. We work in steel, aluminium and all things wood, we do lighting and sound, painting, concreting, a whole lot of stuff. We have done a few home renovations as well. We run a team of up to 13 staff and manage/supervise them on work sites. We have REP and forklift tickets. I’m just trying to figure out whether any of our prior experince counts for anything as it appears there’s nothing here that really says people in our boat would have enough experience to become licenced builders. If this carpentry cert. looks like a possibility as something we could obtain, then with that qualification would we then have a chance at the builders licence? Look forward to hearing your reply. Cheers!

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 02:46h, 07 July Reply

      Hi George,
      Assuming you’re based in NSW, then the Carpentry is definitely a stepping stone towards your builders licence. However, I must reiterate that to attain a builders licence in NSW, you must have 2 years of experience working as a bona fide employee of a building company and working on residential project. Check out this link for more information: How do I get my builders licence in NSW

      N.B. To attain you carpentry certificate you will need to be experience with: flooring system installations, constructing wall frames and ceiling frames, erecting roof trusses, constructing pitched roofs and eaves to mention a few.

  • George Buchanan
    Posted at 14:25h, 02 July Reply

    *EWP tickets

  • Avtar lal
    Posted at 00:06h, 07 August Reply

    I have a previouscarpenter more fhan 15 years And i wanta certificate 3 in carpentery

Post A Comment

Not what you're after? See all our qualifications:

This qualification is provided by our partner RTO. For more details click here.

Let's Get You Started

Supporting Breast Cancer Research