UEE30811 – Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician

27 May UEE30811 – Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician

Electricians install and maintain all of the electrical and power systems for our homes, businesses, and factories. They install and maintain the wiring and control equipment through which electricity flows.

If you have a wide range of experience as an electrician but haven’t completed your qualification for whatever reason, then you’re in the right place. Getting your electrical experience and skills converted into a nationally recognised qualification isn’t as daunting as it sounds, but will require some commitment on your part. We will help you attain the right qualification and subjects you need for your electrical contractor’s licence.

Can I Apply?

You will need to meet one of the following criteria to be eligible for our program:

  • a crafts certificate, OR
  • a TRC from Trades Recognition Australia, OR
  • at least 5 years local experience, OR
  • completed partial studies in Australia, OR
  • electrical City and Guilds qualification, OR
  • an overseas qualification and/or licence.

What's involved?

1. Free Skills Assessment

You need to have valid industry experience in order to qualify for this RPL program. When you first touch base, we will help you identify your skills and advise on whether this qualification is right for you. As a rule of thumb if you have more than 5 years experience in your field, then you are likely to be eligible.

2. Evidence Portfolio
  • Valid Identification
    • Résumé (we will help you put your CV together)
    • Work samples and documents.
    • letter of employment
    • current employment contracts
    • reference letters from licensed tradies you have worked with
    • Photos and videos of your work (specific list provided after enrolling)
    • overseas qualifications (if available)
    • Transcripts/assessments from previous qualifications related to this course
    • Apprenticeship papers (if available)
    • Other Evidence
3. Skills Check
  • A qualified electrical trainer will assess your portfolio of evidence.
  • You will then have to complete a challenge test for certain units if you have not yet completed an equivalent unit.
  • you will have a competency conversation covering questions for each unit and/or a practical.
  • If gaps are identified (i.e. you do not have sufficient experience and knowledge in a particular subject, or you failed one of your challenge tests), gap training will be required. This means you will need to complete theory and/or practical assessments. Theory components may be completed from home online or in a class room environment. Practical tasks may need to demonstrated at our partner RTO’s training facilities or onsite.
  • finally you will be able to sit the Capstone and Australian Standards and Wiring Regulations course. This is primarily a 2 week full-time course that includes both theory and practical refreshers and exams. 
4. Qualified!

All certificates are Nationally Recognised and issued by a Qualify Me! partner college. Now you can grab that licence!


Upon successful completion of this RPL Program you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification in:

Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician



Scope of work

Electrical wiring work is defined in the Home Building Act 1989, for licensing purposes, as having the same meaning as it has in the Electricity (Consumer Safety) Act 2004.

Refer to Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules entitled AS/NZS 3000:2007, Electrical Installations (known as the Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules), as in force from time to time, published jointly by Standards Australia and Standards New Zealand.

Electrical wiring work means the actual physical work of installing, repairing, altering, removing or adding to an electrical installation or the supervising of that work.

Electrical installation means any fixed appliances, wires, fittings, apparatus or other electrical equipment used for (or for purposes incidental to) the conveyance, control and use of electricity in a particular place, but does not include any of the following:

  • Subject to any regulation made under Electricity (Consumer Safety) Act 2004subsection (4) – any electrical equipment used, or intended for use, in the generation, transmission or distribution of electricity that is:

(i)  owned or used by an electricity supply authority, or

(ii) located in a place that is owned or occupied by such an authority.

  • Any electrical article connected to, and extending or situated beyond, any electrical outlet socket.
  • Any electrical equipment in or about a mine.
  • Any electrical equipment operating at not more than 50 volts alternating current or 120 volts ripple-free direct current.
  • Any other electrical equipment, or class of electrical equipment, prescribed by the regulations.


Qualifications required

Completion of Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician (UEE30806 or UEE30807 or UEE30811) and all of the following:

  • A certificate of Proficiency as an Electrician or an Electrical Mechanic from the Department of Education and Communities (DEC) or the Vocational Training Tribunal (VTT).
  • At least 12 months relevant electrical wiring work experience utilising knowledge and understanding of the AS/NZS 3000:2007 in the residential, commercial and/or industrial areas required by NSW Fair Trading ‘Referee’s Statement Electrical Work’ form current at the date of the application.Note: “Experience” means experience lawfully gained by the applicant (whether during or after completion of an Apprenticeship) as a bona fide employee who has been paid during the relevant period of employment in accordance with an award or enterprise agreement.


Accessed 12/7/16 from: NSW Fair Trading Electrician contractors licence


Scope of work

Electrical mechanic licence

Open electrical work licence. An electrical mechanic can perform all electrical work, such as:

  • install or change an overhead electrical line
  • install electrical wiring
  • repair any electrical equipment.


Electrical linesperson licence

Allows you to perform all electric line work, such as:

  • electrical work involved in building or maintaining an overhead electric line
  • electrical work in the building or maintenance of an underground electric line
  • testing of overhead electric lines.


Electrical fitter licence

Allows you to perform electrical equipment work, such as:

  • rewinding and repairing an electric motor
  • building and assembling a switchboard
  • maintain/repair electrical equipment.


Electrical jointer licence

Allows you to perform limited specialist installing, jointing and terminating electrical cables and work relating to electrical cables and equipment, such as:

  • jointing and terminating a high voltage cable.


Qualifications required

Completion of Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician


Contact Worksafe QLD for info: Electrician contractors licence



An electrician’s licence entitles the holder to carry out all types of electrical installation work in Victoria without supervision.



  • Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician



  • Satisfactorily completed the Licensed Electrician’s Assessment (LEA) conducted by a body approved by the ESV.
  • Completed a four-year contract of training as an apprentice electrician that included at least 12 months experience carrying out electrical installation work with written confirmation by the employer


Unrestricted electrician: Electrical wiring work without supervision; and supervision of electrical wiring work



Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician



These vary case by case. Please discuss these with the relevant state licence regulator.


Accessed 20/9/2016 from: ACT Electrical License Requirements


Scope of work

Electrical work is defined in the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 and means work on electrical machines or instruments, on an electrical installation or on electrical appliances or equipment to which electricity is supplied or intended to be supplied, at a nominal pressure exceeding 50 volts alternating current or 120 volts direct current, whether or not the thing on which the work is being performed is part of, or is connected to or to be connected to, any distribution works or private generating plant and, where work is performed on any appliance, whether or not electricity is supplied or may be supplied thereto through an electric plug socket or socket outlet.

Qualifications required

Completion of Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician including Capstone Assessment that cover the following critical criteria:

Demonstrate a knowledge of the various effects of electric current. Physiological effects on humans, heating and other energy conversion effects and principles.
Explain the operation of a simple practical circuit Include current path, circuit control, load, EMF source and conductors.
Determine the resistance, voltage, current and power in any part of a DC circuit using theory and actual measurement methods. Theoretical and practical knowledge of measuring instrument use and safe practises whilst using instruments. Include series and/or parallel circuit analysis.
Demonstrate a knowledge of alternating voltage & current generation, phase relationships, energy in an AC circuit, and actual measurement methods. Explain sinusoidal voltage generation and resultant current flow. Define key terms, calculate and apply measuring techniques to derive required parameters. Eg power factor.
Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental safety principles of the AS/NZS 3000:2000 Section 1. Definitions, alterations, protection, design, selection and installation of electrical equipment for electrical safety requirements. This includes protection from direct and indirect contact with live parts.
Describe methods of electric motor selection, starting, connection and protection. Reduced current starting, methods of starting (star-delta etc), typical motor lead terminations and protection (including by electronic devices) of the motor from environmental, overload, internal faults and supply variation conditions.
Describe and apply in practice the requirements of AS/NZ 3000:2000 in relation to earthing arrangements and fault loop impedance calculations. Earthing arrangements for protective and functional purposes, earthing connections and conductor selection. Calculation of the correct cable size for an installation to achieve protective device and cable coordination.
Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the MEN system and its application, including on sub-installations. Multiple Earthed Neutral arrangement, resultant fault current path and magnitude, operation of protective devices and implication of MEN link absence during fault condition
List typical applications of various types of transformers and key safety issues. Distribution and transmission systems, large consumers’ installations, within electrical equipment, appliances including welders. Safe working procedures when connecting and testing transformers.
Describe and apply in practice the requirements for circuit protection using AS/NZS 3000:2000 and other relevant Australian Standards. Eg AS/NZS 3018. Causes of excess current (and voltage) within a circuit. Calculation and selection of protective devices to satisfy the required Standards.
Demonstrate a knowledge of the SELV, PELV and earth leakage current protection systems and their application in accordance with AS/NZS 3000:2000. Protection against both direct and indirect contact using SELV and PELV systems. Protection using Residual Current Device.
Demonstrate the ability to select cables for mains and submains using AS/NZS 3000:2000 and AS/NZS 3008.1 based on current carrying capacity, short circuit capacity, maximum demand and voltage drop, for single phase and three phase installations including multiple installations. Determination of maximum demand, voltage drop, interpretation of cable supplier data tables and the impact of various installation methods. Selection of the appropriate cable installation route/method.
Demonstrate the ability to select cables for final subcircuits using AS/NZS 3000:2000 and AS/NZS 3008.1 based on current carrying capacity, short circuit capability, maximum demand, earth loop impedance and voltage drop. Application of maximum demand methods to calculate current requirements and ensure voltage drop is within specification, evaluation of the installation method.
Describe the control and protection requirements for installations and equipment. Demonstrate the ability to select suitable equipment and switchgear for a particular installation or part of an installation. Main board controls, sub-installation control and submain/final subcircuit controls. Assessment of the prospective short circuit current and operating current. Selection of equipment and suitable protection equipment to protect conductors and installed equipment. Inclusion of RCD’s where required.
Demonstrate an understanding of the AS/NZS 3000:2000 and regulatory requirements for the installation of electrical equipment in given damp situations and wet areas Damp zones and related equipment requirements. Assessment of the earthing requirements and wiring systems for damp and wet areas as per Section 7 of the AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules.
Demonstrate the appropriate methods for the installation, modification and testing of electrical installations and equipment for construction and demolition sites, complying with AS/NZS 3012 and applicable workplace safety legislation. Assessment of supply requirements, final circuit protection and socket outlet requirements. Portable tool tagging requirements to AS/NZS 3760 and electrical installation testing requirements.
Demonstrate knowledge of AS/NZS 3000:2000 requirements for the installation of aerial conductors and underground wiring. Various types of aerial conductors and their application/installation methods. Assessment of underground and aerial conductor ratings and selection process. Underground cable installation systems.
Demonstrate a knowledge of the AS/NZS 3000:2000 requirements for electrical installations in hazardous areas and an awareness of the standards to which it refers (e.g. AS 2430, AS 2381.1). Basics as set out in AS/NZS 3000:2000, awareness of concepts and practices in specialised standards.
Describe and perform to AS/NZS 3000:2000 and AS/NZS 3017 standards the electrical checks and tests required to ensure electrical installations are safe. Tests to ensure the requirements of the Standards have been met, include: visual checks, testing energised and de energised circuits – earth continuity, insulation resistance, polarity test, fault loop impedance tests etc.
Demonstrate the knowledge and skill to perform effective safe isolation of any equipment, including switch and lock off, circuit isolation, equipment testing and tagging procedures. The sequential steps needed to achieve an isolated, tested and safe work area. Preparation of a written isolation procedure.
Demonstrate the knowledge and skill to install and terminate a variety of electrical cables in a wide range of applications (including final subcircuits) to AS/NZS3000:2000. Installation requirements for a wide range of typically used electrical cables in a variety of situations: e.g. thermoplastic, elastomer sheaths, XLPE, high temperature cables. Separation from other services (and fire wall penetrations).



Describe and perform the circuit tests required for electrical cables in a range of installations, with attention to the final subcircuit tests. Earth continuity, insulation resistance, fault loop impedance, polarity and correct circuit connection tests.
Instal final subcircuit wiring into switchboards and connect to switchboard equipment in accordance with AS/NZS 3000:2000 and local supply authority requirements. Termination of subcircuit cabling at switchboards and connection to components.
Connect consumers mains to an installation, in accordance with AS/NZS 3000:2000 and local supply authority requirements. Installation of consumers mains in buildings and underground. Termination at pillars, pits and mains connection boxes. Bonding of metallic meter enclosures.
Demonstrate ability to read, sketch and interpret electrical diagrams. Purpose and characteristics of schematic, block and wiring diagrams, typical symbols used.
Describe basic statutory occupational safety and health responsibilities for employers and employees, including supervisory requirements and employees’ own “duty of care”. Occupational Safety and Health regulations and electrical safety regulations – legal requirements, safety committees and duty of care.
Demonstrate understanding of the requirements for personal safety in the workplace including safe isolation and application of safety practices. Adoption of safe working practices, incident reporting process and responsibility to co- workers. Reference to safe electrical work guidelines issued by regulators, including supervision requirements applying to apprentices and trainees.
Describe the method of rescuing a person in contact with live electrical conductors or equipment. Fundamental principles of emergency procedures.
Describe the emergency first aid requirements for an electric shock victim and demonstrate the knowledge and application skill of EAR and CPR. Application and learning of EAR and CPR procedures to resuscitate and stabilise a victim. Use of fire extinguishers to control electrical fire at accident site.
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the significant dangers of High Voltage equipment and distribution systems. Step and touch voltages, induced voltages, creepage and clearance requirements. Stored energy and earthing requirements. The use of safe working procedures.
Describe methods of commissioning and/or decommissioning electrical equipment or an installation, using a systems approach. Commissioning: Circuit voltage testing, phase rotation checks, systematic loading up, correct installation functioning and instrumentation/- control parameter checks. Decommissioning: Identification of all circuits, impact on other equipment, isolation, tagging, testing, securing and earthing where required, safe removal of equipment/ conductors.
Demonstrate the knowledge and skills for diagnosing and rectifying faults in electrical apparatus and associated circuits. Required for safe working practices with electrical systems and installations. All repairs must be compliant with the relevant standards. This item is crucial as all previous skills are utilised to effectively perform a fault find function.



Accessed 4/8/16 from: WA Electrician contractors licence



Electrical Work includes install, alter, repair or maintain an electrical installation, subject to conditions limiting (in any way) the work that may be carried out under the authority of the registration. If you personally perform the work, you will also need to hold a workers registration. A contractor’s licence only authorises a person to carry on a business, not to physically undertake the work.


To qualify for a contractor’s licence you must have sufficient financial resources for the purpose of properly carrying on the business authorised by the licence. You must have a minimum of $10,000 in tangible net assets. If you cannot meet this requirement you can still qualify for a licence restricted to subcontracting to licensed plumbing, gas fitting, electrical or building work contractors



UEE30811 Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician

IMPORTANT NOTE: To be eligible for a trade licence from 1 January 2016 an applicant must also have:

  • Completed a trade apprenticeship in a licensed trade (which includes a Certificate III) OR
  • Completed a Certificate III in a licensed trade that was issued on or before 31 December 2015


Accessed 16/9/16 from: SA Electrician contractors licence


Scope of work

Electrician’s Licence: The holder of an Electrician’s Licence may perform any electrical work.


Qualifications required

Completion of Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician and all of the following:

  • completed 12 months’ experience in the practical application of AS3000; and
  • that he or she has completed the equivalent of 4 years’ relevant experience performing electrical work in residential, commercial or industrial situations, including the time they did during training and/or 12 months practical application of AS3000 forementioned.

Accessed 21/7/16 from: TAS Electrician contractors licence



Scope of Work

The work of an Electrical Fitter:

• Manufacture, repair, rewind or assemble electric motors, motor starters and control gear, coils, transformers etc., meters, instruments and control equipment;

• Construction, assembly and erection and wiring of switchboards and control panels;

• Construction, assembly, erection or repair of sub-stations, switching centres, etc.;

• Turning or machining of electrical components; forming or dressing of busbars;

• Welding or forming of busways, trunking, etc.

The work of an Electrical Mechanic:

All that work of an Electrical Fitter as well as the actual physical work of installing wiring systems including associated equipment and the testing of such installations. The work of an Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic: The following, which may be the work of either an Electrical Fitter or Mechanic should be considered in conjunction with the foregoing list, and, where doubt exists, be brought to the attention of the Board:

• Repair or assembly of appliances, flexible leads or electrical installations;

• Manufacture, assembly or repair of electrical articles which include electronic or solid state components.


Qualification Requirement

Completion of Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician

Can I apply?

This RPL and trade skills recognition program is available to tradesmen with local experience or local students that have completed partial studies in Australia. We also have programs to help migrants fast-track their qualifications providing they have relevant experience, qualifications and well aware of the Australian standards and requirements.

Ready to start?

What are you waiting for? Contact Us today. Free call: 1800 765 295

  • Gholamreza Hashemi
    Posted at 14:43h, 21 February Reply

    I have got a TRA assessment with 6/7 years experience at 2007. Am I eligible to apply for RPL Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician?
    How much does its course cost?
    How long does it take?


    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 06:48h, 22 February Reply

      If your experience is with a licensed electrician and the Trades Recognition Certificate from TRA recognises you as an Electrician or Electrical Fitter that should be fine. If not, we may need to look into your case a little deeper. Cost and duration of the program will depend on how many gaps you have. Generally we will put you through a number of challenge tests where we will be able to determine where you stand academically against the performance criteria of the critical units from Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician. Touch base with us to discuss details.

  • Allan Dickson
    Posted at 20:24h, 06 March Reply

    Hi I’m Allan Dickson. I have been working with 240v for 11 years and would now like to get a certificate so I can certify my work

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 22:43h, 10 March Reply

      Have you been working as an electrician under a licensed electrical company? If so we can look into this program for you. If not, and you may want to consider whether the disconnect reconnect course is more aligned with what you want to achieve.

  • Melvin Nawipa
    Posted at 23:51h, 12 March Reply

    Hi, I’m Melvin nawipa. I’m a high school graduate and recently have completed certificate 3 in business administration. However I have no qualification and experience in electrical fields. Is there any chance for me to do this course?


    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 23:58h, 12 March Reply

      Hi Melvin,

      Unfortunately, for our program, we require you to have 4-5 years experience working in the electrical field under a licensed electrician.

      Thank you,

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 23:59h, 12 March Reply

      Melvin, this program is only for candidates with several years experience in the industry. I will have someone contact you regarding Full time study options.

  • Thomas Happer
    Posted at 07:56h, 29 March Reply

    I am a qualified Air-conditioning mechanic looking to further my career currently hold a limited elect license and work with 240v/415v every day are you guys able to help?


    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 23:24h, 29 March Reply

      Hi Thomas,

      We sure can. As long as you hold 5 years of experience covering all aspects of electrical under the supervision of a licensed electrician, we can definitely look at assisting you. Give us a call on 1800 765 295 and one of our experienced course advisors can give you a free skills assessment.

  • Mohammad sayed solaiman
    Posted at 10:16h, 30 March Reply

    i , Mohammad sayed solaiman. completed one year higher education on applied engineering in renewable energy( major in electrical . please let me know any chance.)

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 18:56h, 30 March Reply

      You will need to have sufficient experience in practical electrical works in order to meet the course entry criteria.

  • David Paterson
    Posted at 07:19h, 12 April Reply

    Hi, I’m a fully qualified electrician from the uk with 10+ years experience. What do I need to do to become electrician over here. I’m in south Australia

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 23:16h, 17 April Reply

      Hi David,

      We require you to also have at least 12 months experience in Australia working under a licensed electrician. If you have this experience, please call us 1800 765 295.

      Thank you

  • Niroshan wickramage
    Posted at 13:34h, 12 April Reply

    I am Electrical engineering 3 year full time university diploma (Oversea) and City and Guilds certificate diploma holder .I have 14 years of experience as a power plant operator having oversea experience working with 230 V to 220Kv systems.TRA assessed me as a Power generation plant operator and they have positioned me on minimum AQF Level 3 stage with my past qualifications and experience. In Victoria I have one year experience as a electrical trade person working with 230 V circuitry. I am willing to undergo for a RPL process in order to get the electrical license.Appreciate If you can provide me a feedback. Thank you.

    B R,

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 23:23h, 17 April Reply

      Hi Shane,

      Definitely seems like you have the experience to meet our RPL requirements. One of our course advisors will give you a call for a skills assessment to confirm your eligibility and talk you through our program.

      Thank you

  • Asim uz
    Posted at 10:49h, 15 April Reply

    Hi there,

    I have completed my Electronics/Electrical Engineering Certificate and have worked as Electronics Technician for a while before moving in to IT (Computer Systems Engineer) for the past 20 Years. I want to do electrical work for my self and on the weekend. would I qualify for this?


    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 00:24h, 18 April Reply

      Hi Asim,

      For our Recognition of prior learning program, we require you to hold 4-5 years experience working under a licenced sparky, with at least 12 months in Australia. One of our course advisors will give you a quick call and discuss your experience in depth. After this quick skills assessment, they will be able to determine your eligibility.

      Kind regards

  • Shane Hinchliffe
    Posted at 05:32h, 21 April Reply

    Good Afternoon.
    Not sure if this is going to work for me, but thought I would make the enquiry to see.
    I am 43 years old and did my time as an apprentice electrician back in the 90’s. I didn’t finish a couple of my final tafe courses. I went overseas for a couple of years then never bothered to finish them. I worked back for my old boss for a few more years then took over a hot water company which I employed plumbers and an electrician. I have recently sold that company and have another solar power company where My business partner is my original boss who is obviously a qualified electrician. Is there a way for me to get my full licence? And how long might it take?
    I don’t really need it as such, but heard your ads and thought I would enquire.
    Sorry for the long winded explanation.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 06:26h, 26 April Reply

      Hi Shane,

      It sounds like you have the experience. You will need to complete the Cert III in Electrotechnology (Electrician) course which we can assist you with. You will also need to apply for the Craft Certificate through State Training Services.
      In regards to our Cert III program, the duration will vary based on what you have previously completed and what you are required to do, as well as your dedication. If they haven’t already, I will have one of our Course Advisors give you a call and give you a brief rundown of the process and assess your eligibility.

  • Brendon
    Posted at 13:36h, 21 April Reply

    I have a diploma in aero skills avionics. I have been working on aircraft electrical systems for several years. Would I receive rpl?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 06:18h, 26 April Reply

      Hi Brendon,

      Unfortunately, you will need to have a min. 4-5 years experience working as an electrician covering all aspects of domestic electrical work to be eligible for our Electrotechnology program.

  • Mauro Lawall
    Posted at 12:42h, 22 April Reply

    I am a electrical engineer (Brazilian University), and I have 8 years of experience working as an electronics technician for a global offshore drilling company (not in Australia). Is it possible to start the process to get a license?
    Thank you!

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 05:57h, 26 April Reply

      Hi Mauro,

      Unfortunately, for our Cert III program we require you to have at least 12 months experience in Australia under a licensed electrician. In NSW, it is also an Office of Fair trading requirement in order for you to apply for your licence.

  • Gerrie Fourie
    Posted at 13:17h, 26 April Reply

    Hi there,

    I am in the process of doing my South African Electrical Trade, already have more than 8 years ‘on the job’ experience. All with the goal of immigrating to QLD shortly thereafter. How can I get my Electrical Licence and be ‘job ready’ as soon as possible? What is the duration of the course and cost? Thank you in advance!

  • Jess
    Posted at 14:02h, 29 April Reply

    Hi i have two years diploma in electrician trade from overseas @ also have two years apprenticeship in powerline work . I have 15years experience in high @ low voltage lines work in government department from overseas.i have also 5 years experience as general electrician from overseas and now working with Aclass electrician in Australia from last one year . In 2007 TRA reconised me as powerline trade person . Can i get electrician A class licence . Pls help me . Jess

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 02:32h, 04 May Reply

      Hi Jess,

      To apply for an unrestricted licence in NSW, you will need to hold a Craft Certificate in Electrotechnology (Electrician), you will also need to complete a Cert III in Electrotechnology (Electrician) and at least 12 months experience in Australia under a licensed electrician.
      I suggest you begin by contacting State Training Services on 13 28 11 and applying for your Craft Certificate as an electrician. Once you have this, you can contact us on 1800 765 295 and we can assist you with completing the Cert III. One of our course advisors will give you a call to point you in the right direction.

  • Peter
    Posted at 11:46h, 16 May Reply

    Hi – Im Peter I have owner & operated an Electronic / WhiteGoods / Electrical / Appliance Repair Business
    I have always employed Qualified Staff & Licensed, I have taken part in almost every Appliance myself as the Owner I never qualified Myself ! I am now changing the Business to Sub Contract all the work out

    What do I need to Sub contract out the work ? Do I need to be qualified myself ? All I require is a licence to be able to Contract the work out ? What is the quickest way to do this ? Peter

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 03:49h, 17 May Reply

      Hi Peter,

      This sounds like a question for your state licensing regulator who can advise you what licence is required for your business. If they come back and tell you that you need a qualification, give us a buzz on 1800 765 295 and we can assess your eligibility for our program.

  • john darrell hendry
    Posted at 01:04h, 24 May Reply


    i hold my craft certificate from nsw (completed in 96) worked as an electrician from then till 2011 in mining. since then have changed fields. wondering what steps i need to take to get my electrical license in qld.


    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 00:01h, 31 May Reply

      Hi John,

      For licensing requirements it is best to contact your state licensing regulator. Generally, in most states you will require a Cert III in Electrotechnology (Electrician) which we can look at assisting you with.

      Please give us a call on 1800 765 295

  • Guriqbal singh
    Posted at 16:38h, 10 June Reply

    I have bachelor degree in electrical engineering and 3 year experience in same field from India.
    How I can apply for electrical licence?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 02:07h, 20 June Reply

      Hi Guriqbal,

      One of our course advisors will contact you to discuss.

  • Marcello Bianchi
    Posted at 11:39h, 14 June Reply

    Dear Qualify me , I work many years as lift electrician overseas I got a license overseas then I need an electrical license here for work as lift electrician or lift fitter do you have some suitable course or rpl something that can help me ?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 02:05h, 20 June Reply

      Hi Marcello,

      Unfortunately, this is not something we are offering at the moment. I will keep your details on file and I will contact you when it is available.

  • Cha
    Posted at 09:10h, 19 June Reply

    I want to to know weather electrical, Instrument & radio people in Aircraft industry are elegable to under go this program. Have been working for 9 years in australia and obtained a diploma for avionic aircraft work.
    Thank you

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 02:02h, 20 June Reply

      Hi Cha,

      The work mentioned is very specialised. To be eligible for RPL through our Cert III in Electrotechnology (Electrician) program, you will need to have a minimum of 5 years experience covering all aspects of residential, commercial and industrial electrical work.

  • Suvedh Borker
    Posted at 15:34h, 01 July Reply

    I am an overseas qualified electrical Engineer. I have worked as maintenance engineer( supervisory work) over five plus years. Am I eligible for the RPL for A class electrician?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 02:45h, 11 July Reply

      Hi Suvedh,

      Unfortunately, to be eligible for RPL through our Cert III in Electrotechnology (Electrician) program, you will need to have a minimum of 5 years experience covering all aspects of residential, commercial and industrial electrical work. This means working under the supervision of a licensed electrician.

  • Dave
    Posted at 10:27h, 10 July Reply

    Hi There,
    I have Electrical Engineering Degree from South Asia, and have more than 8 years of experience as Electrical Maintenance Engineer 11KV distribution end. Moreover I am assessed as Engineering Technologist with all experience as relevant by Engineers Australia. Which and how I should do a course to increase my employ ability in Australia.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 02:40h, 11 July Reply

      Hi Dave,

      It sounds like you have a lot of experience in the engineering side of things, however, we will require you to hold at least 5 years of experience working as an electrician (At least 12 months in Australia) covering all aspects of electrical fitting and troubleshooting. Please call us on 1800 765 295 and we can look at your experience further.

  • Jigar
    Posted at 10:22h, 17 July Reply

    My name is Jigar got the Migration skill assessment 2008 successful from TRA but need to do the RPL for getting the Electrician licence in Victoria, as per TRA mail me to do. I have an 8 years of experience of Electrical Mechanic and Qualified electrician (2 Years full time course) and Diploma Electrical Engg. (3 Years Full time study).
    How can You help me to get the Electrician licence of Australia

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 23:52h, 17 July Reply

      Hi Jigar,

      Sounds like you have plenty of experience. As long as at least 12 months of it is in Australia under the supervision of a licensed electrician, it sounds like your experience is suitable for RPL. One of our course advisor will contact you shortly for a quick skills assessment and they will be able to advise if our program is right for you.

  • Todd martin
    Posted at 10:32h, 07 August Reply

    Hi, i am a qualified overhead linesman & cable jointer and have been a tradesman for almost 4 years now. My apprenticeship for those trades included over half the TAFE required to be an electrician( RPL?). Im wondering will this course be right for me to become a quailified eleectrician aswell? Currently working in the industry for an electrical company under liscensed tradesman.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 10:54h, 07 August Reply

      Hi Todd, At face value it sounds like you may be a little shy on experience and residential work. Let’s talk tomorrow morning

  • Adnan
    Posted at 22:57h, 28 August Reply

    Hi I worked as a building electrician oversees for 7 years I have a certificate approved my experience . I have bachelor degree in Chemical industry application and I studied some subjects in my university related to my electrician .
    could you pleas let me know how you can help my to be electrician in Australia ?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 01:02h, 16 October Reply

      Hi Adnan,

      You will need be issued a Craft Certificate from State Training Service in Electrotechnology, and you will also need to hold a Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician. Once you apply for your licence in NSW you will need to show 12 months of on the books experience as an Electrician (under a licensed supervisor) in Australia.

  • Sakthivelan Kattabomman
    Posted at 11:59h, 15 October Reply

    I have completed my TRA Assessment under Electrical Engineering Technician code 312312 in last year sep 2016 But migrated to Australia in july 2017..Do i need RPL for Electrical Licence?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 00:49h, 16 October Reply

      Hi Sakthivelan,

      You will definitely need to complete a Cert III in Electrotechnology Electrician in order to apply for your licence in NSW.

      However, you will need 4-5 years experience in electrical work under the supervision of a licensed electrician, with at least 12 months in Australia to be eligible for our RPL program.

  • Scott
    Posted at 13:55h, 03 November Reply

    Qualified refrigeration mechanic ( cert 3 – Electrotechnology refrigeration and air conditioning )
    Have contractor / supervisors licences
    15 years experience and have owned and managed my own business for 7 years. ( still current )
    What steps do I need to follow to gain my un restricted electrical licence ?
    Is this something you can help with ?

  • Neil Morris
    Posted at 15:38h, 13 November Reply

    Hi, I have recently obtained my craft certificate for Electrotechnology Electrician and was wandering if I can just do your capstone 2 week program and how much it would cost?

    Neil M

  • paul drop
    Posted at 08:48h, 19 January Reply

    worked as an electrician in the UK for over 10 years , I have city and guilds in electronic and controls servicing
    and 17th edition in electrical regulations and city and guilds 2391 in electrical inspection and testing I have also have a craft certificate for Electrotechnology in instrumentation and control.
    would I be able to do this course

    Paul D

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 06:08h, 31 January Reply

      Sounds good to me. Has an assessor touched base with you to check your eligibility?

  • Cameron
    Posted at 03:28h, 24 February Reply

    I completed my Cert III in Electrotechnology in the NAVY and now have Cert IV in Instrumentation then Worked offshore in Australia as an Electrician under an Aussie Electrician for a few years, then started working overseas as an Instrument Technician…has been 14 years since acquiring that qualification.
    I am looking to obtain my A Grade Licence…Is that something that would be possible?

  • Kyle
    Posted at 08:13h, 09 March Reply

    Hi, I was doing my apprenticeship over seas which I haven’t finished, would I be able to enroll in this course? I have 7 years on site experience but the theory part I think I would struggle with.


  • Kristian
    Posted at 00:43h, 10 March Reply

    I have a certificate IV in engineering (electrical) and a statement of atainment in (cert III electrotechnology). 8 years of experience in electrical fault finding, corrective and preventive maintenance in the navy, as well as letters from employers, electricians I have worked with stating my experience. I currently work in a job where perform wiring upgrades on elv systems.

    Would I be eligible to get electrical licencing in QLD through RPL?

  • laith
    Posted at 00:25h, 20 April Reply

    hi there
    I am a refugee and I have overseas experience in electrical fields more than 10 years
    Am I eligible to apply for RPL Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician?
    How much does its course cost?
    How long does it take?

  • Michel
    Posted at 09:01h, 24 April Reply

    I hold a certificate in Electrical fault finding and installation from overseas.I have been working in the field in Perth Wa in a switchboard company for 10 years.I want to to get an electrical license now.I am currently employed and I am involved in a lot of electrical control wiring .I`m in Perth

  • Fred
    Posted at 06:41h, 15 May Reply

    I hold tertiary (bachelor, masters, and PhD) degrees in electrical engineering and want to acquire an electrician licence. Is this course the right path for me? I have a few years of overseas hands on experience in building electrical wiring. I also have Electrical laboratory experience (obtained during several years performing research in the university) in Australia.

  • Robert
    Posted at 00:08h, 21 May Reply


    I’m a UK qualified lift engineer. I have 6.5 years experience in my field, including 3 years in Sydney as a lift mate. In the UK I’m qualified to work electrically on lifts. Wondering what I need to do to get permisssion to be allowed do the same in Australia. I’m in WA. Thanks

  • Syed muhammad Iqbal Shah
    Posted at 14:16h, 11 June Reply

    Hi, Can you please guide I have Diploma in Electrical Installation from City and Guilds Certificate/ Level I & II
    and I also have 3 Years Diploma of associate Engineering In Electrical Overseas with one year experience What are my chances and requirements for RPL am I eligible or any other way to get Australian Qualification.?
    Many thanks

  • Mina Botros
    Posted at 08:10h, 28 June Reply

    I’m an elecrtical engineer, i had my degree overseas, i’m a member in Engineers Australia, and i’ve been working in Australia since the beginning of 2017, Can i apply for Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician?

  • Andrew
    Posted at 03:35h, 19 July Reply

    G’Day, I have certificates of electrician and uni diplomas from overseas. When I was overseas, I’d say that I spent 2 years working as special purpose electrician in the army and the rest of time I was working in engineering. After my arrival to Au, I mainly worked in engineering and in terms of doing electrical things I can probably count 2 months in Company 1 and 4-5 months in Company 2 doing wiring of electrical cabinets, wiring on trains/trams, etc. The names of my positions in such instances were trades assistant and installation technician I think. FYI also: I did not have a TRA assessment upon arrival as I came in thru the engineering stream thanks to my work experience in this area + uni degree.
    I guess, my questions are as follows: 1. Do I have chances to get a positive assessment for an electrician. 2. If successful, in Vic I would need to pass an exam + work under someone’s supervision for a year I believe (please correct me if I am wrong). My question is the above 2+4 months can be counted subject to what I have done versus what electricians do. 3. Regardless whether the above 6 months can be counted, I would still need some time to work under someone’s supervision. How hard is finding such a position? It seems I don’t see a lot of them on Seek…
    Thanks a lot

  • Mike Thomson
    Posted at 06:51h, 25 July Reply

    I’ve worked as an electrician in the UK for over 6 years and have over 12 years industrial experiance in the Oil & Gas sector. Am I eligible for the course?

    Posted at 06:03h, 22 September Reply

    Hi i have student visa but i want pass my licence electrical

  • Giorgio
    Posted at 14:01h, 24 January Reply

    Hi I am a qualified electrical & instrumentation technician with 5 years pharmaceutical experience working in Ireland.
    What steps do i need to go through to obtain a NSW electrical license as I am considering a move?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 17:48h, 01 February Reply

      You can visit NSW Fair Trading for information on this Giorgio.
      NSW Fair Trading

  • Oyunchimeg Bordukh
    Posted at 10:07h, 03 April Reply


    I’ m a RMA and I have a client who needs to do RPL as an electrician. Could you please provide me more information as to how much the cost and how long it will take.

    Kind regards,

  • Ravi Chavan
    Posted at 15:38h, 19 April Reply

    I’m Ravi I have got my VTT electrical fitter (controls) certificate and have 10 years of experience working with UGL company can I get electrical licence nsw
    Also what are the other things I have to do to get electrical license

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 10:34h, 22 April Reply

      Hello Ravi,

      There are assessments and some questions to answer to determine this one. Best thing to do Champ is have a call to us to discuss – we’d be happy to talk you through it. 1800 765 295

  • Simon C
    Posted at 19:32h, 29 April Reply

    Hi! I’m Simon! I came in Victoria from UK at the end of 2017. So I worked as electrical trade assistant for about 12 months. I have:
    EAL LEVEL 3 DIPLOMA IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION( equivalent city & guilds),17h Editions, i started to work in the electrical industry about 09/2015.
    Can I get the RPL?
    What steps do I need to follow to get qualified?


  • Simon C
    Posted at 19:41h, 29 April Reply

    Hi ! I’m Simon. I came in Melbourne at the end of 2017 and I worked as electrical trade assistant about 12 months in Australia. I have
    EAL LEVEL 3 DIPLOMA IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION,(equivalent city&guilds),17th edition ,and I started to work in electrical industry in england about 09/2015. So how can i get the licence here?
    What steps do I need to follow to get the qualification here? How can i get qualified here.

    Thank you!

Post A Comment

Not what you're after? See all our qualifications:

This qualification is provided by our partner RTO. For more details click here.

Let's Get You Started

Supporting Breast Cancer Research