CPC40110 – Certificate IV in Building and Construction – RPL

28 May CPC40110 – Certificate IV in Building and Construction – RPL

If you have a wide range of experience as a builder but haven’t completed your qualification for whatever reason, than you’re in the right place. Getting your building experience and skills converted into a nationally recognised qualification is simple, fast and headache free! We will help you attain the right qualification and subjects you need for your building contractor’s licence.

What's involved?

1. Free Skills Assessment

You need to have valid industry experience in order to qualify for this RPL program. When you first touch base, we will help you identify your skills and advise on whether this qualification is right for you. As a rule of thumb if you have more than 3 years experience in your field, then you are likely to be eligible.

2. Evidence Portfolio
  • Valid Identification
  • reference letters from licenced builders you have worked with. If you are seeking an unrestricted builders licence in NSW, it is advisable that you have worked as an employee under a licensed building company and alongside a Qualified Building Supervisor for a minimum of 24months and during that time you were working on DA approved residential construction. Restricted licenses are available to those that do not readily meet the experience criteria. Speak to a course advisor to discuss.
  • Work samples and documents. This will include two residential sites (building classes 1 & 10) that you have been heavily involved in. You should be able to provide all major documents from council approvals, engineering certificates to related insurance papers and plans etc.
  • work samples and documents (such as tender documents, invoices, quotations, plans, sketches etc)
  • letter of employment
  • photos and videos of your work
  • overseas qualifications
  • related licenses, short courses, accreditation, certificates, transcripts or assessments you have attained
  • Apprenticeship papers (if available)
3. Skills Check
  1. You will be having a conversation covering questions for each unit with our qualified assessor
  2. The assessor may choose to also perform a practical observation.
  3. Where gap training is required, you will need to complete theory or practical assessments as required. Theory components can be completed from home and practical components can be completed at your work site.
4. Qualified!

All certificates are Nationally Recognised and issued by a Qualify Me! partner college. Now you can grab that licence!


Upon successful completion of this RPL Program you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification in:

Certificate IV in Building and Construction



Scope of work

Any work that is residential building work under the Home Building Act 1989 which involves construction of a dwelling, or alterations or additions to a dwelling. It also includes repairing, renovating, decorating or applying protective treatment to a dwelling.

For licensing purposes, works considered to fall within the class of building include, but are not necessarily limited to:

  • garage, carport and shed construction/erection (including kits)
  • bathroom, kitchen or laundry renovations
  • swimming pool building and structural landscaping
  • screened, glass or pool enclosures
  • atriums, conservatories
  • house lifting (ie. permanently raising the height of an existing structure)
  • removal and resiting of dwellings
  • saunas and steam rooms.

Any contract for general building work can include any specialist work that is integral to the overall work, but such work must be carried out by the holder of an endorsed contractor licence or qualified supervisor certificate in the relevant category of specialist work.


Experience Requirements

Applicants must show at least 2 years relevant industry experience in a wide range of building construction work where the majority of the experience was obtained within 10 years of the date on which the application is made.

“Experience” means experience gained by the applicant as:

a) an employee of, or
b) a holder of a supervisor certificate and as a nominated supervisor for the contractor licence held by, or
c) a holder of an endorsed contractor licence contracted to, or
d) a holder of a supervisor certificate in the capacity of a nominated supervisor for a contractor licence held by an individual, partnership or corporation contracted to,

the holder of a contractor licence authorising the holder to do the class of residential building work in which the experience was gained (“the Work”), where the applicant, during the relevant period, was:

  • supervised and directed in the doing of the Work by the holder of an endorsed contractor licence or supervisor certificate authorising its holder to supervise the Work, and this is verified in the Relevant Application Form; and
  • remunerated with money in accordance with law for the Work which the applicant carried out.


Qualification requirements

Certificate IV in Building and Construction including (BCGBC4001A or CPCCBC4001A Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for low rise building projects, BCGBC4002A or CPCCBC4002A Manage occupational health and safety in the building and construction workplace, BCGBC4003A or CPCCBC4003A Select and prepare a construction contract, BCGBC4004A or CPCCBC4004A Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects, BCGBC4005A or CPCCBC4005A Produce labour and material schedules for ordering, BCGBC4006A or CPCCBC4006A or CPCCBC4006B Select, procure and store construction materials for low rise projects, BCGBC4007A or CPCCBC4007A Plan building or construction work, BCGBC4008A or CPCCBC4008A or CPCCBC4008B Conduct on-site supervision of the building and construction project, BCGBC4009A or CPCCBC4009A or CPCCBC4009B Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects, BCGBC4010A or CPCCBC4010A or CPCCBC4010B Apply structural principles to residential low-rise constructions, BCGBC4011A or CPCCBC4011A or CPCCBC4011B Apply structural principles to commercial low-rise constructions, BSBSBM406A or BSBSMB406A or BSBSMB406 Manage small business finances, BCGBC4012A or CPCCBC4012A or CPCCBC4012B Read and interpret plans and specifications, BCGBC4018A or CPCCBC4018A Apply site surveys and set out procedures to building and construction projects, BCGBC4024A or CPCCBC4024A Resolve business disputes.)

PLUS any one of the following:

  • a current Carpentry or Bricklaying contractor licence qualification
  • Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) CPC50210 including the following units (CPCCBC5004A Supervise and apply quality standards to the selection of building and construction materials, CPCCBC5005A Select and manage building and construction contractors, CPCCBC5007A or CPCCBC5007B Administer the legal obligations of a building and construction contract, CPCCBC5009A Identify services layout and connection methods in medium rise construction projects.)
  • Bachelor of Housing from an Australian University or a Degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Architecture, Housing, Construction, Construction Management, Construction Economics, Applied Science (Building), Quantity Surveying from an Australian University.

Accessed on 1/8/16 from: DFT contractor’s licence


Scope of work

  • Building work on a class 1 or class 10 building
  • Building work on classes 2 to 9 buildings with a gross floor area not exceeding 2000m², but not including Type A or Type B construction
  • Building work that consists of non structural work on a building, regardless of—
    • the class of the building; or
    • the gross floor area of the building
  • Prepare plans and specifications if the plans and specifications are:
    • for the licensee’s personal use, or
    • for use in building work to be performed by the licensee personally

Qualifications required

CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction


Experience required

Qualified in bricklaying/block laying or carpentry

Two years experience in:

  • the licence class scope of work, or
  • other work the commission is satisfied is at least equivalent to experience in the scope of work for the class.

All other applicants

Four years experience in:

  • the licence class scope of work, or
  • other work the commission is satisfied is at least equivalent to experience in the scope of work for the class.

Accessed on 17/2/17 from: QBCC Building contractor’s licence


Scope of work

  • Building work on a class 1 or class 10 building
  • Building work on classes 2 to 9 buildings with a gross floor area not exceeding 2000m², but not including Type A or Type B construction
  • Building work that consists of non structural work on a building, regardless of—
    • the class of the building; or
    • the gross floor area of the building
  • Prepare plans and specifications if the plans and specifications are:
    • for the licensee’s personal use, or
    • for use in building work to be performed by the licensee personally

Experience Requirement

You should be able to demonstrate the following experience with your application:

  • establishing the requirement for a building permit for the proposed domestic building work
  • applying for and obtaining a building permit for proposed work
  • complying with a building permit
  • arranging relevant certification of completed building work when required
  • producing cost estimates and quotations for the proposed work
  • identifying the need for, and establishing a major domestic building contract to undertake the work when required
  • undertaking relevant planning and preparation for construction
  • arranging for construction workers or sub- contractors to carry out construction works safely and competently
  • complying with site safety requirements, including the development, communication, monitoring and maintenance of site safety plans throughout the construction
  • ensuring site safety inductions are undertaken
  • supervising the carrying out of all construction work, ensuring compliance with the National Construction Code, Australian Standards and local authority requirements
  • ensuring construction is undertaken according to relevant provisions of safety and environmental legislation
  • rectifying, or arranging to have rectified, any faults or defects in construction work
  • maintaining communication with clients, architects, designers, building surveyors and other parties during construction
  • arranging any required protection works
  • engaging relevant trades to undertake regulated work such as plumbing work
  • interpreting plans, drawings and specifications relating to the work
  • setting out and preparing the site according to plans and specifications.

Qualifications required

There are no set qualification requirements available from VBA; however it is widely understood that the following nationally recognised qualifications may aid your application:

  • Diploma of Building and Construction (Building)
  • Certificate IV in Building and Construction

Accessed on 1/8/16 from: VBA Domestic Building (Unlimited) contractor’s licence


Not available at this time


Not available at this time


Scope of Work (Residential building work ltd to National Construction Code Class 1 & 10)

Residential building work restricted to class 1 and 10 buildings. Includes construction, alteration, addition to and renovation of class 1 and 10 buildings.

Qualifications required

Certificate IV in Building and construction (Building)

Scope of Work (Residential building work ltd to National Construction Code Class 1 & 10 not exceeding three storey)

Residential building work restricted to class 1 and 10 buildings not exceeding three storey. Includes construction, alteration, addition to and renovation of class 1 and 10 buildings.

Qualifications required

Certificate IV in Building and construction (Building)

Accessed on 1/11/16 from: Building contractors licence


Not available at this time


Not available at this time

Can I apply?

This RPL and trade skills recognition program is available to tradesmen with local experience or local students that have completed partial studies in Australia. We also have programs to help migrants fast-track their qualifications providing they have relevant experience, qualifications and well aware of the Australian standards and requirements.

Ready to start?

What are you waiting for? Contact Us today. Free call: 1800 765 295

  • Pete
    Posted at 01:50h, 14 February Reply

    I do some subby work on residential sites as a builder. does that cover the experience requirements you mention above?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 01:52h, 14 February Reply

      Hi mate,
      I’m guessing you’re in NSW and referring to the Department of Fair Trading’s definition of “experience”/”bona fide employment”.
      Quick answer is no. We have an article that digs into the ins and outs. Check it out – How do I get my builder’s licence in NSW?

  • steve oraha
    Posted at 10:22h, 29 March Reply

    if i want to get my building license , will i be able to build residential units or only houses?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 19:10h, 30 March Reply


      It all depends on which state you live in and the licence category you apply for. In NSW, there only one builders licence. It only covers residential building and may include restrictions such as height restrictions. In VIC there are different licences cover medium rise, open etc
      The CIV in building is fundamental in NSW in applying for your builders licence if you do not have a relevant degree. In other states you may need to consider the diploma of building and construction to be licensed for unit blocks. Give us a buzz and we can help with any questions you have.

  • Brandon Flack
    Posted at 10:19h, 26 April Reply

    Hello I am currently after getting my Victorian restricted vba domestic builders licence but at this stage I have had 3 years in electrical and a vast amount of building knowledge from prior renovations and extensions. I was wondering what qualifications I would need aswell to help go towards attaining my domestic restricted builders licence and what youse offer in order for myself to gain sufficient training and qualifications.

    Kind regards

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 23:43h, 12 May Reply

      I’d recommend looking at the diploma of building and construction rpl program. Sounds like the right fit at face value.

  • mitch
    Posted at 03:28h, 27 April Reply

    Hi I am a qualified carpenter and have been in the building industry for over 14 years how do I go about obtaining my builders licence? I own my own carpentry and landscaping company therefore I am not a supervisor for a builder as I run my own jobs. I also have my landscape construction licence.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 23:41h, 12 May Reply

      Hi Mitch,
      If your in NSW you will need to gain employment with a licensed building company and work for at least 24months in a wide range of residential building work.
      Other states may consider your experience given you hold the right building qualifications.
      I trust our course advisor has already covered off your options. If not give us a hola.

  • Paul Barrett
    Posted at 09:03h, 27 April Reply

    When will you have a WA recognized qualification?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 02:37h, 04 May Reply

      Hi Paul,

      We always have. All our qualifications are issued by Registered Training Organisations and nationally recognised.

  • Michael Neal
    Posted at 01:38h, 11 May Reply

    I have 25 years exp in building and construction as a owner/operator of a building company, a building supervisor for several large project home builders and as a lecturer in building and construction for over 5 years. I would like to RPL my builders registration to grow and enhance my current business.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 23:47h, 12 May Reply

      Which state are you in? The qualification and experience requirement varies a fair bit from state regulator to state regulator. Eg In NSW you would have to be working for a licensed building company; in VIC your experience may be conssidered caveat to an interview.
      Generally speaking you will be looking at the COV in building or Diploma of building and construction quals

  • harsh chauhan
    Posted at 20:37h, 28 June Reply

    i am civil engineer i am interested to do this course as an international student can i get admission here??

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 23:03h, 28 June Reply

      Hi harsh,
      Unfortunately, this is not a CRICOS approved course and therefore you will not be issued a COE required for a student visa.

  • Surinder S Matharu
    Posted at 08:55h, 25 July Reply

    i am in house renovator and construction from last ten year when i migrated to AU i did work for some one now from three years i m doing myself things like
    domestic fences
    roof cleaning
    gyprock patching
    window replace
    i also renovate bathroom
    welding all types and material

    can i apply for builder lincesce

  • Subash Aryal
    Posted at 09:26h, 14 August Reply

    i have completed bachelor in civil engineering from Nepal in 2016, now i am in sydney ? can i study cert iv or not?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 00:33h, 25 August Reply

      Hi Subash,

      You will need to hold a minimum of 4-5 years experience as a hands-on builder under the supervision of a licensed builder, with at least 12 months experience in Australia. Please keep in mind, for licensing purposes in NSW, you are required to provide evidence of 24 months employment under a licensed builder in Australia.

  • Adam spinelli
    Posted at 09:26h, 16 August Reply

    Hi I’m a carpenter and I am looking towards obtaining my certificate in erection of metal structures and home additions. Is this a course you can hold or sign off? Where should I go from here?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 00:27h, 25 August Reply

      Hi Adam,

      As long as you hold the required amount of experience under your belt and can provide the required evidence, we should be able to assist you. If they haven’t already, one of our course advisors will give you a call and run you through our program.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 01:06h, 25 August Reply

      Hi Sharmila,

      Our program is RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning), this means we help you achieve your qualification based on your experience. For this qualification, we require a minimum of 4 years, with at least 12 months in Australia. I will have a course advisor contact you to discuss the program.

  • Maher Youssef
    Posted at 21:09h, 16 August Reply

    Dear sir
    I finished Bachelor of civil Engineering and I want ask about work experience for 2 years if you can help me to start to get a licence.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 00:24h, 25 August Reply

      Hi Maher,

      Unfortunately, for the RPL program we will require you to have 4 years of hands-on building experience under the supervision of a licensed builder.

  • Allan Turner
    Posted at 12:38h, 19 September Reply

    Did my 3yr apprenticeship under licenced builders’ & continued under a registered builder for a further 5 years.
    I worked for myself for a further 5 years, with occasional sub-contract work.
    Looking too get a limited vic licence.
    Cheers Al

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 05:31h, 12 October Reply

      Thanks Allan,

      We’ll be in touch!

  • paul cecil
    Posted at 09:58h, 17 December Reply

    and what about a person who has worked in the building and construction game for over 50 years …but has no qualifications…but has done sub-divisions…had steel fixing companies ..built lots of houses..worked in all trades…but no qualifications…didn/t need them years ago..where do I stand/Paul.thx.

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 02:55h, 15 February Reply

      Hi Paul,

      Sounds like a lot of time on the job. Please give us a call on 1800 765 295 and we will see if we can get you qualified.

  • Michael
    Posted at 23:10h, 02 February Reply


    I live in Queensland.

    The majority of my residential construction experience was in the nineties when I worked for a residential builder. In the 2000’s I worked overseas (construction) and in mining. I have a diploma in building design and an Adv. diploma in construction management. I am Open and Steel Fabrication and Erection supervisor QBCC registered.

    I am looking for my residential license, so I can complete my own projects. I have been preparing drawings for friends…and I think at this stage I would be better placed if I completed this work for my own projects.

    What are your thoughts?


  • Bronson Simamora
    Posted at 13:31h, 08 February Reply

    I am landscape designer,
    I had 6 years an experiences in this field/ Working with landscapes designer and construction company, but now I have my own bussiness and I have been doing a few landscaping job/mostly paving and retaining wall with sand stone/bricks . Because as a landscap designer I have right to build the wall only 80cm hight.
    Am I qualify to applay for the license


    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 00:24h, 15 February Reply

      Hi Bronson,

      Are you after the Cert III in Landscape construction? I will have a course advisor call and assist you shortly.

  • Nick wescombe
    Posted at 10:11h, 09 March Reply

    Hi there I’m looking to get my general builders license. I have worked all trades over the last 14 years and have my cert in bricklaying. What is my best option. Im in South australia

  • bart anderson
    Posted at 13:29h, 17 May Reply

    Hi I completed bcg40106 back in 2009 and never got around to applying for the licence.. what modules have been added to the current course that I would have to complete so I can apply

  • Jemma Hemsted
    Posted at 04:36h, 25 June Reply

    Hi my husband is a licensed carpenter and has been for the last 17 years. He has subcontracted to licensed builders for the duration of this time with a few smaller jobs completed under his own business name. would he qualify for the rpl program? If so could you please contact me with further details, cost, time frame etc.

  • muhammad ali razai
    Posted at 11:14h, 27 June Reply

    hi i have been working in bilding and constraction around 10 yeara also i have tiling and painting liecence main while in working in jibrock and insolation, i ahve food knowlage in bilding structure and foundation designe, my qustion is that can i get general bilding liecence ?

  • Maurice Devoy
    Posted at 02:13h, 11 August Reply

    I have worked in the construction industry as a supervisor for over 20 years, mainly industrial such as oil refineries, desalination plants, LNG plants and all sorts of factories. I have recently completed the construction of my new 4 bedroom 4 bathroom 2 story home as an owner builder and would love to do another one. My trade is mechanical fitter but I have supervised multiple trades. I have a Cert. IV in Frontline management, Cert IV in OHS/WHS and a Diploma in WHS. I am currently doing an Advanced Diploma and considering Diploma in Project management. Would this experience and qualifications get me anywhere near a builders licence

  • Tony Joseph
    Posted at 14:29h, 28 September Reply

    Hi I have work as an apprentice carpenter when I was younger about 20 years ago and currently for the past 5 years have been a site supervisor for residential dwellings from single to double , duplexes and for the past 2 doing fast pace residential on a WHS development site for developers overseeing the build from excavation/slab to finish then handing over to the client for one of the top 10 residential builders in Sydney and look after from 22 to 35 builds at a time so I know the whole process from dealing with trades ,engineers Certifiers and council inspectors.
    So do I qualify to do this course.

  • Samuel Gascoigne
    Posted at 14:45h, 09 November Reply

    hi there , i have completed my cert three been working in the trade for the past seven years for liscenced builders in vic and here in canada, does this fast trqck me in any way? also can i complete entireley via my computer with videos/photos and detailed reports from registered builders over here?

  • Dan corry
    Posted at 15:19h, 09 November Reply

    I’ve subcontracted for 8 years and to one builder for 4 years now worked side by side. What is my next step to getting my cert 4?

  • Jonny Scott
    Posted at 21:36h, 11 January Reply


    – 7 years supervising residential building sites as an employee and 4 years project managing.

    – Bachelor of landscape architecture UNSW
    – Master Construction project management

    What do I require to obtain a buillder licence in NSW?


    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 12:18h, 05 February Reply

      Hi Johnny,
      From your years of expereince and credentials, there are definitely some requirements we can fulfill with those. If we haven’t already, we’ll give you a call shortly.

  • John Rutland
    Posted at 14:15h, 15 January Reply

    Im looking to get my builders licence in QLD,
    Have my own carpentry business but have worked for builders and am currently supervising for large commercial company. What direction would you suggest I head in?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 12:10h, 05 February Reply

      Hi John, If you’re looking to get the CPC40110 – Certificate IV in Building and Construction – RPL, we can assist you with that. You can then use the qualification certificate for this course towards a license. We’ll give you a call.

  • Jeffrey Lawson
    Posted at 12:22h, 10 June Reply

    I would like to come out of retirement (bored) I am a carpenter/joiner apprentice in NZ and been working in the building industry in Australia for 34 years, I worked permanently with a builder in NSW for 18 years before coming to Victoria
    I am multi-skilled and know all aspects of other trades, how easy would it be to get a builders license for Victoria and what do I need as most of the companies I have worked for before have either died off or closed down, that’s what ages does? 🙂

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 12:45h, 10 June Reply

      Hi Jeffrey,

      Have long have you been retired? We need you to have worked in the last 10 years. Do you think you can get a few of the licensed builders you’ve worked with in the past to sign off on your work with them? I understand most companies, as you said has closed down but we need to have referees that would sign off on your work, as part of the requirements

  • Chris Perera
    Posted at 18:14h, 27 June Reply

    Hey mate,

    I’m currently working as a Quantity Surveyor/Estimator in a commercial construction company for a one year + in Victoria and I have a Master postgraduate qualification in Construction Management. I want to apply for builder licence. What are my chances?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 18:28h, 27 June Reply

      Hello Chris,

      If you’re looking at RPL Qualification Cert you can use towards a builders license, you’d need to have hands on work experience to be eligible for a CPC40110 – Certificate IV in Building and Construction – RPL course.

  • Mil
    Posted at 01:06h, 06 July Reply

    I have a certificate iii in carpentry and looking to get a certificate iv in building and construction. I have beeen working with various companies for 5 years.. do I qualify for rpl to get my cert iv?

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 10:18h, 08 July Reply

      We can certainly check your eligibility for a C4 in Building & Construction RPL course with us. If we haven’t already, we’ll reach out. Better yet, give us a call on 1800 765 295 toll-free.

Post A Comment

Not what you're after? See all our qualifications:

This qualification is provided by our partner RTO. For more details click here.

Let's Get You Started

Supporting Breast Cancer Research