RPL Certificate III in Painting and Decorating

28 May RPL Certificate III in Painting and Decorating

If you have a wide range of experience as a painter but haven’t completed your qualification for whatever reason, than you’re in the right place. Getting your painting experience and skills converted into a nationally recognised qualification is simple, fast and headache free! We will help you attain the right qualification and subjects you need for your painting contractor’s licence.

What's involved?

1. Free Skills Assessment

You need to have valid industry experience in order to qualify for this RPL program. When you first touch base, we will help you identify your skills and advise on whether this qualification is right for you. As a rule of thumb if you have more than 2 years experience in your field, then you are likely to be eligible.

2. Evidence Portfolio
  • Valid Identification
  • list showing relevant employment history
  • work samples and documents (tender documents, invoices, quotations, plans, sketches etc)
  • letter of employment
  • reference letters from licensed painters you have worked with
  • photos and videos of your work
  • overseas qualifications
  • related licenses, short courses, accreditation, certificates, transcripts or assessments you have attained
  • Apprenticeship papers (if available)
3. Skills Check
  1. You will be having a conversation covering questions for each unit with our qualified assessor
  2. The assessor may choose to also perform a practical observation.
  3. Where gap training is required, you will need to complete theory or practical assessments as required. Theory components can be completed from home and practical components can be completed at your work site.
4. Qualified!

All certificates are Nationally Recognised and issued by a Qualify Me! partner college. Now you can grab that licence!


Upon successful completion of this rpl program you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification in:

Certificate III in Painting



Scope of work

Painting is the application of a clear, resin based or pigmented product in liquid form which, when applied to a surface by brush, roller or spray gun, forms a dry, adherent film. Paint may be applied for decorative or protective purposes and may be applied to any appropriate surface on any structure, fixture, fitting or apparatus. For licensing purposes, works include textured coatings applied by the above mentioned methods, preparation and minor repair (but not renewal or replacement) of surfaces prior to painting.

Qualifications required

CPC30611 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating

Accessed 12/7/16 from: NSW Fair Trading painting contractor’s licence


Scope of work

Apply paint or other substance for protective, decorative or technical purposes, including colour matching, applying texture coatings, applying wall paper, preparing surfaces for application of paint or other protective, decorative or technical materials, applying cement render to no more than 8mm thickness

Qualifications required

CPC30611 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating

Plus Approved Managerial Course

Accessed on 12/7/16 from: QBCC painting contractor’s licence


VBA Domestic restricted licence: Painting and Decorating

This component of domestic building work is limited to painting and decorating work for homes and associated class 10 structures. It involves the preparation of surfaces and the application of paint or other substances for protective, decorative or technical purposes, and includes colour matching.

Qualification required

CPC30611 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating

Experience required

You must have capacity to carry out, manage or arrange the following activities in a competent manner and to a professional standard:

  • preparing surfaces for the application of paint or other materials
  • applying paint or other substances, texture coatings and wallpaper
  • using appropriate tools and equipment to apply required applications, including paint.

Accessed 5/8/16 from: VBA Domestic Building Licence Painting and decorating


Not licensed in this jurisdiction.

Accessed 12/7/16 from: Canberra Painters Licence


Scope of work

Individuals, partnerships and companies that wish to contract with others to provide painting services valued over $1,000 must be registered as a ‘painting contractor’ and demonstrate a financial and organisational capacity.

Qualifications required


CPC30611 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating and the units BSBSMB401 Establish Legal and Risk Management Requirements for Small Business, and CPCCBC4004A Identify and Produce Estimated Costs for Building and Construction Projects or equivalent qualification.

Accessed 12/7/16 from: WA Painters Licence


Scope of work

Internal and external surface preparation and painting, includes painting of wall and floor tiles, baths and laminates with no restriction to class of building. Excludes roof restoration other than painting. Decorating includes such techniques as marbling, gold leaf, murals and wall papering.

Qualifications required

CPC30611 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating

Accessed on 12/7/16 from: SA CBS painting contractor’s licence


Not licensed in this jurisdiction.

Accessed 12/7/16 from: TAS Painters Licence


Not licensed in this jurisdiction.

Accessed 12/7/16 from: NT Painters Licence

Can I apply?

This RPL and trade skills recognition program is available to tradesmen with local experience or local students that have completed partial studies in Australia. We also have programs to help migrants fast-track their qualifications providing they have relevant experience, qualifications and well aware of the Australian standards and requirements.

Ready to start?

What are you waiting for? Contact Us today. Free call: 1800 765 295

  • Guillem Lopez Borras
    Posted at 00:22h, 18 February Reply


    I am a painter from Barcelona, Spain, who just move to Queensland to live. I’m currently holding a student visa but in 3 months I will be in the process to get a “partner Visa” (facto visa), I have over 15 years of experience in painting and decorating. I have my own painting business since 2004.

    The problem that I am facing here is about qualification and certificate. My intention is keep working as a self-employe but I will need a qualification to can get an insurance for my business, or in case that I need to do some casual job for some company.

    I don’t have any qualification, I only have the Tax Invoice, photos and web page to show my experience and I think it’s time to get a Certificate which helps me to proof it.

    I hope you can help me.



    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 10:48h, 22 February Reply

      We would want to see that you have Australian experience and knowledge of the Australian standards and relevant legislation. Item such as working with oil paints, lead and asbestos removal are critical. If you have gained some experience in the industry we can’t definitely help or at least point out your best pathway toward your licence

  • Anthony Dominic Mastroserio
    Posted at 20:32h, 09 March Reply

    Just wanted to know how long does the course go for
    And is it day or night

    • Qualify Me!
      Posted at 22:32h, 10 March Reply

      HI mate,
      This is not a painting and decorating course, rather it is a skills recognition and recognition of prior learning program. Which means, we look at the experience and skills you have accumulated over time and turn it into a nationally recognised qualification – in this case a Certificate III in Painting and Decorating. We will help you compile a comprehensive portfolio of evidence and assess you against the criteria of the units of this course.

Post A Comment

Not what you're after? See all our qualifications:

This qualification is provided by our partner RTO. For more details click here.

Let's Get You Started