• All Industries
  • Aged Care Disability
  • Automotive
  • Bricklaying / Blocklaying
  • Building & Construction
  • Carpentry & Joinery
  • Childcare & Education
  • Community Service
  • Concreting
  • Engineering
  • Health & Beauty
  • Horticulture
  • Hospitality and Tourism
  • Kitchen, Bathroom & Laundry Renovation
  • Landscape Construction
  • Other Trade Courses
  • Painting & Decorating
  • Plumbing
  • Roof Tiling
  • Short Courses
  • Wall & Ceiling Lining
  • Wall & Floor Tiling
  • Waterproofing
  • White Collar Courses
Let qualify me, qualify you
Let qualify me, qualify you
student getting his Kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licence

Kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licence NSW: how RPL can help

Thinking of applying for your kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licence with NSW Fair Trading? If you have the skills, knowledge, and experience, the Qualify Me! recognition of prior learning (RPL) program can help speed up the process.

If your skills are certified by our RPL program, you’ll be awarded a nationally recognised qualification which you can use to apply for your licence. There’s no need for classroom study, and you can receive your certificate within 4-6 weeks. It’s cost-effective, fast, and easy. In this article, we’ll answer all your burning kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licence questions, and you’ll discover how RPL can help.

Why do I need a kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licence? 

Kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licences are becoming increasingly popular, especially for plumbers and carpenters looking to expand their business offerings. But why do you need one? 

According to Fair Trading NSW, you must have a licence before you do any residential building work in NSW valued at more than $5000 (incl GST) in labour and materials, including kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovations.

Renovations include installation, refurbishment, restoration, and on-site repairs of a kitchen, bathroom or laundry. It doesn’t include work affecting any internal or external load-bearing part of the building that is essential to the stability of the building, including things such as foundations, floors, walls, roof, columns, and beams.

If you’re a carpenter, joiner, plumber, or tiler and you want to organise full-scale kitchen, bathroom, and laundry renovations, you’ll need this licence to subcontract work out to other trades.

Without this licence, you cannot hire subcontractors from other trades. 

What are the different types of kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licences?

There are three types of kitchen, bathroom, and laundry renovation licences available through NSW Fair Trading. You can use your nationally recognised qualification achieved through our RPL program to apply for whichever licence applies to your situation.

Contractor licence

A contractor licence allows you to contract and advertise to do work. You can only do the types of work described on your licence card. Contractor licences can be issued to individuals, companies, and partnerships.

 Qualified supervisor certificate

A qualified supervisor certificateallows you to supervise and do the work described on your certificate. Qualified supervisor certificates are only issued to individuals and do not allow you to contract for work.

Endorsed contractor licence

An endorsed contractor licence is issued to individuals who apply for a contractor licence and who also have the qualifications and experience needed to be a qualified supervisor.

Who Can Get A Kitchen, Bathroom And Laundry Renovation Licence?

To be eligible for a kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licence, you need a current endorsed contractor licence or qualified supervisor certificate in one of the following trades:

  • Carpentry
  • Joinery
  • Plumbing
  • Wall and floor tiling

You also need to complete certain units of competency outlined on the NSW Fair Trading website as outlined on our Kitchen, Bathroom & Laundry Renovation Licence.

That’s where the Qualify Me! RPL program comes in — if you have on-the-job experience, you may qualify for RPL. This means you can skip the classroom study required to complete the units of competency and instead be awarded a certificate that proves you have the skills required to attain your kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licence.

What Work Experience Do I Need To Qualify For RPL?

To qualify for our RPL program, you’ll need to have worked on kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovations while being supervised by someone holding either a kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licence or a builder’s licence.

The RPL process requires the licensed supervisor to sign a testimonial to vouch for your work experience, skills, and knowledge.

You’ll need at least x years of work experience to qualify for this RPL program.

What If I’m Qualified In Another State Or Internationally?

Are you already qualified in another state? You can apply for a licence directly with NSW Fair Trading under the mutual recognition system. 

If you’re qualified internationally, you can enquire with NSW Fair Trading to check if you’re eligible to apply for your license. However, you’ll most likely be referred to an RPL organisation like Qualify Me! to confirm your skills and experience before applying for your licence.

How long does the RPL kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation course take?

It can take up to six weeks from application to approval. In the first two weeks, we’ll collect evidence to prove your experience; then, we’ll pass your information over to one of our Registered Training Organisation (RTO) partners, who will assess your skills and knowledge for each unit of competency. 

RTOs can take up to four weeks to award your qualification. However, in most cases, we can reduce your total wait time to just four weeks.

How Do I Apply For My Kitchen, Bathroom And Laundry Licence After The RPL Program?

Once you’ve been awarded your nationally recognised certificate, you’ll need to collect the following:

  • Details of any past or current licences or certificates you hold
  • An original copy of your trade qualification and your nationally recognised RPL certificate
  • Details of your employment and experience
  • Details of any past compliance issues, insolvency matters, or criminal offences (if applicable)
  • One passport size photo
  • Proof of identity

You’ll also need to complete an application form, an application checklist, and an additional detail form/s if applicable.

You can lodge your application and pay your licence fee at your local Service NSW centre. Find out what fees apply in your circumstances here.

Next Steps: Free Skills Assessment

Think you’ve got the skills, knowledge, and experience to qualify for the kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licence in NSW?

Take our free skills assessment to see if you’re eligible for our RPL program, or contact us for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 comments on “Kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation licence NSW: how RPL can help”

  1. I wish they would have dry plaster licence included. I can't see why they have tiling in while plastering out