Electrical Licence

How do I get my Electrical Licence in NSW?

It can be quite a daunting task to get your electrical licence in Australia. Even some apprentices struggle to work out all the steps involved. This article will cover the major steps you need to undertake to be qualified and licensed as an electrician.

There’s a few major milestones that you need to fulfill in order to become licensed in NSW. According to the Department of Fair Trading website (current as of 13/9/2014), the most straightforward pathway is to:

  • Completion of Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician (UEE30806 or UEE30807 or UEE30811) and
  • hold a certificate of Proficiency as an Electrician or an Electrical Mechanic from the Department of Education and Communities (DEC) or the Vocational Training Tribunal (VTT).
  • At least 12 months relevant electrical wiring work experience utilising knowledge and understanding of the AS/NZS 3000:2007 in the residential, commercial, and/or industrial areas required by NSW Fair Trading ‘Referee’s Statement Electrical Work’ form current at the date of the application.”

To get to the stage Fair Trading is requiring of you, here is what you may need to do:

  1. Attain a Craft Certificate. This is acquired from VTT (call 13 28 11). This is awarded when you complete your practical training/apprenticeship. Alternatively, if you can demonstrate that you have sufficient practical experience whether locally or overseas, you may apply for a craft certificate. In your application, you will need to provide a portfolio of evidence demonstrating your experience. Where your evidence is not sufficient for the tribunal to make a call, you will most probably be called in for a theory and/or a practical trade test.
  2. Complete your Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician. Check out our electrical skills recognition programs. Qualify Me! has a couple of programs that cater to students that have not completed their electrical course for whatever reason and still have some units/subjects outstanding as well as UK electrical recognition.
  3. Attain a Certificate of Proficiency. You will have to go back to VTT who will award you a Certificate of Proficiency. This certificate basically means you have successfully completed your practical training and you have received been awarded an appropriate qualification by a registered training organisation.
  4. Apply for your licence at your local Department of Fair Trading office. Generally, it will take up to 6 weeks to hear back about your initial application.
  5. Call us up, tell us your success story. We get really excited every time 😉

To hear this from the experts, give us a buzz on 1800 765 295 or leave us a message.

63 thoughts on “How do I get my Electrical Licence in NSW?”

  1. I’m from the UK, got my city and guilds – I heard there’s an Australian context training course or something?

    1. Hi mate,
      I believe you are referring to the Minimum Australian Context Gap training. Most providers will require that you have either an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) and sufficient workplace experience (generally demonstrated via eProfiling) OR a Australian Trades Recognition Certificate issued by Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) before issuing you a Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician.
      The Qualify Me! program for recognition of overseas electricians will include: mapping across the subjects you completed at City & Guilds to the Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician, then after a challenge test and/or competency conversation land you straight into the capstone course which covers Australian Standards and Wiring Regulations.

      1. Hi, I have overseas 7 years experience as a special class electrician and I assessed my qualification in Australia through Vetassess TRA (approved RTO). Can you please provide me guidance for the next step to get full licence in NSW?

  2. My son has an electrical Craftsmans certificate in NSW and has completed a fair chunk of his subjects but has not followed through with the remainder through Tafe. He is at a point where he would like to get qualified but is currently working as an AV Technician rather than an all out electrician. He can provide you with the subjects that have been successfully completed. Is there a way he can complete the remainder of his qualification without going back to Tafe? I don’t think he has too many references from his work experience or a work log so how would this affect his chances of qualifying if he is competent? He would need to complete any requirements after normal hours due to his current employment.

    1. Sure sorry missed your first comment Mark.

      To become an accredited AV technician, your son should be looking into completing a Certificate III in Electronics and Communications. Unfortunately, we do not offer this course at this time. Here is a link to the RTOs in Australia that do offer this course. I would suggest calling them and providing them with a copy of your transcripts requesting them to credit equivalent subjects and RPL those similar units that your son can also show experience/knowledge and competence in.

      On the other hand, if your son is interested in continuing his studies as an electrician, we would be more than happy to do a free skills assessment and see whether he is eligible for our Electrical Program. Any gaps he has can be studied online and face to face with a private tutor.

      Hope this helps!

  3. Thank You. He does want to finish his Electrician licence so I will get him to contact you to take it to the next step.

  4. Hi just received my craft certificate in electrotechnology- electrical fitter and was wondering what I have to do next to get my electrical license, I read so many web pages just getting a little confused!

    1. craft certificate is not enough to get the license……you need two things 1) CERTIFICATE OF PROFICIENCY, 2) CERTIFICATE 3 ELECTROTECHNOLOGY ELCTRICIAN

      Now for you to have the certificate 3 electrotechnology electrician you need to attend and finish TAFE. For you to have the certificate of proficiency from VTT you need to pass to them that cert 3 from tafe + 1 year experience

      Now for you to have to have Eletrical License from Fair Trading, you need to pass it to them the CERT 3 from TAFE and Cert of Proficeincy from VTT…then you will get the license

    2. Sorry for the late reply, give us a call if you haven’t already – just easier if we talk you through it. 1800 765 295

  5. Hi iam after a bit of advise iam currently living in Austria and hold an electrical license here. In Australia I completed an electronic’s trade course and I received my license here from the years of experience I had and i don’t hold an electrical certificate,How would I be able to aquire an Australian electrical license.

    1. For licensing in NSW you will need to hold a Proficiency Certificate and a C3 in Electrotechnology.
      Your best bet is to touch base with us to check your eligibility in attaining your qualification and we will guide through the steps.

  6. Hi guys!

    By qualifications i am Electronics Engineer. ( overseas qualification)
    Want to have NSW electrical license, working as an service tech in nsw.
    How can i get electrical license here, other than OTSR.


    1. Hi Asif,
      Can you give us a call to discuss your experience. You will need to demonstrate some residential experience and from your post I’m not sure if you have that.
      Cheers 1800 765 295

  7. Hi, It’s been a while that I’ve been looking on how to become a licensed electrician.
    It’s been almost 2 years now that I’m working for a company in the industry doing supervised electrical work in residential and commercial premises. I was looking to do the cert 3 in electrotechnology but Tafe said it’s only for apprenticeship, which is not an option for me. Is there any other possible ways I can become a licensed electrician?
    Thanks in advance,

    1. Jay, 2 years is too slim for our program. Generally we would look at a minimum of 5-6 years of solid experience. If you have experience in a similar trade such as electrical fitter or such we may be able to look into it. Further, assuming you are in NSW, you will need to apply to VTT for Trade Recognition in order to finally apply do your contractor’s licence. VTT would also want to see solid experience in the industry. Give us a buzz and we would be happy to explore possible pathways for you to be on the right track to become a licensed electrician.

  8. Thanks for the brief, I am Electrical Engineer and I’ve done my competency to be qualified by Engineers Australia, what shall i do to be certified electrician in Australia ?

    1. Omar, you will need to complete the Certificate III in Electrotechnology electrician and in NSW attain a proficiency certificate. Do you have any experience working as an electrician for an electrical company? I ask as not all engineers have hands on experience.

      1. Hi,
        Im qualified electrical engineer in Australia. I am working as an electrician and electrical engineer for an electrical company. What should I do next to get electrical licence?
        Please give me the pathways in details

  9. Harikrishna Pamanji

    i want ele first aid cirtificate.But I dont know how to take. so please help me. i am from andhra pradesh,nellore

    1. Hi Harikrishna,

      If you are after Certificate III in Electrotechnology (Electrician), for our RPL program, we require you to have 4-5 experience in the electrical industry. If you don’t have this experience, we can look at full qualification options.
      If you are after the first aid certificate, unfortunately we are not running these courses at the moment.

  10. First of all , thank you for your great information ,
    But would you please tell me, according to below certificates and career, what would be my next step to get an electrician license?
    1- my bachelor in electrical engineering has been assessed as a professional engineer by Engineers Australia
    2- I am working as an electrical and automation field service engineer in a company located in Sydney since April 2016
    3- I’ve got my restricted electrician license from NSW
    4- I have more than 10 years experience in electrical field service engineering including my overseas experience
    5- I’ve worked with an electrician for more than one year during my career

    1. Hi Sash,

      You will need to contact State Training Services and see if you are eligible for a Craft Certificate in Electrotechnology (Electrician). Once you have obtained this, you can give us a call and we will be able to assist you in obtaining your Cert III.

  11. My partner has his
    City and guilds 2365 levels 2 and 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations and
    Level 3 Certificate in the requirments for Electrical Installations

    He has obtained these in the UK and has been working as an electrician in Australia now for a year. He is classified as an unlicensed Electrician. I want to know whats the quickest way to get him Qualified in NSW, Australia and whats the process? Thanks Katie

    1. Hi Katie,

      Best way to get started would be to contact State Training Services and apply for a Craft Certificate in Electrotechnology (Electrician).

      You will also require a Cert III, which we can assist you with. For our Cert III Electrotechnology (Electrician) program, your partner will need to have a minimum of 5 years experience including 12 months in Australia. One of our course advisors will be in touch with you soon to complete a quick skills assessment to determine if your partner is eligible, and give you a quick run down of our process.

  12. Hi ,
    I have overseas qualifications
    1: Technologist in Electronics Technology
    2: proffessional Electrical Engineer.
    I have overseas experiences
    5 year in solar power system
    1.5 year Building services
    1 year Cables manufacturing company .
    What should I have to do in NSW ?

    1. Hi Amir,

      For your Electrical Licence in NSW you will need to hold a Cert III in Electrotechnology (Electrician), a Certificate of Proficiency in Elecrotechnology (Electrician) plus 12 months local experience working under the supervision of a licensed electrician.

      From what you have mentioned, I would suggest you contact State training services and enquire as to whether or not you are eligible for a Craft Certificate, or a Trades Recognition Certificate. I also suggest looking at gaining Australian experience under the supervision of a licensed electrician.

      For more assistance, please contact our team on 1800 765 295 and one of our course advisors will be able to point you in the right direction.

  13. Dear Qualify me , I have worked many years in my country as licensed lift electrician I would like to achieve some electrical license here in nsw, because I need for work as lift fitter or lift electrician is there some RPL or skill assessment available in your college ?

    1. Hi Marcello,

      Unfortunately, we offer the Cert III in Electrotechnology (Electrician) which requires a wide range of electrical experience, and not limited to lifts. I will keep your details on file and if we get this on scope, I will be sure to contact you. Good luck!

  14. Hi,
    I have done bachelor in technology in Electrical And Electronics, 1.5 yr of experience on Telecommunication, and more than 4 years on Cruise Ship as Electrician, and I am coming soon to Australia with my wife for two years as dependent. Can I work in Australia as Electrician during this time, if not then what kind of certificate do I need and how can I get that. Thank you in advance.

    1. Hi Hermant,

      You will be able to work under the supervision of a licensed electrician, but not on your own.

      Unfortunately, for our program we require at least 4-5 years experience total with a minimum 12 months experience in Australia.

  15. Dear QUALIFY ME,

    I intend to move to NSW by end of October 2017. I also have an Overseas Diploma in Electrical Engineering (Instrumentation and control), and a Bachelor of Electronics Engineering Technology. I have Certificate III in Electronics and Communication form TRA and 17 years overseas experience in electrical and control systems in mining industries. where do I start regarding NSW electrical license?

    1. Hi Mluleki,

      It is best to contact State Training Services on 13 28 11, and see if you are eligible for a Craft Certificate in Electrotechnology (different from electronics). If you are able to obtain this, you can then look at getting your Certificate III in Electrotetechnology Electrician which we can look at assisting you with.

  16. Hi there,

    Just wanted to find out how can be a NSW electrician? I am from New Zealand and hold New Zealand Practising License.Also i have New Zealand Diploma In Electrical Engineering.I have 7 years of experience and planning to NSW soon.Please help

  17. Hi,
    Looking for a way/pathway to get an electrical license
    – I have a craft certificate (Electrician) from Vocational Training Tribunal.They assess my previous experience overseas as an electrician.( 5 1/2 years)
    – I have been working now for 6 years in my current employer here in Australia doing design and assembly of electrical and electronics control. I design and build them.
    We don’t have a qualified or licensed electrician in our company hence I’m trying to get mine so i can do installation as well.
    Is this something that you can help me with?
    any advise will be a big help.
    Thank you in advance

    1. Hi Erwin,

      You would require experience in onsite electrical wiring, switchboards, motors etc. Let’s discuss your situation and cover off the aspects of your Australian experience that would meet the criteria of the C3 Electrotechnology Electrician. Alternatively, you may consider a Restricted Electrical licence.

    1. Van,
      We like to see at the very least 5 years, but of course this varies on the type of experience and what training you have completed. I believe a staff member has touched base to discuss your options, if you need more info, please don’t hesitate to give us another hola!

  18. Hi,
    I have OTSR and hold a provisional license for NSW as well from last 2 yrs. But didn’t have any electrician experience. Currently I am working as a production technician and doing all electronic assemblies, testing, production etc. Is it possible to get me a full license or Electrical fitter cert.

  19. Hello there,
    I received my electrotechnogly – electrician craft cert 5years ago after giving them all my Scottish apprenticeship qualifications, was is my next step to apply for my electrical licence

  20. HI there:
    I have certificate III in electrical wiring issued from TAFE NSW in 1998 and also diploma of electrical engineering from TAFE NSW 2008 and bachelor of electrical engineering from UWS. I do not have local experience but I have 3 years overseas experience. Can you please tell me how to get an electrician licence?

  21. Hi There!
    an urgent query

    I have BS.Electrical Engineering degree from overseas, do i still need to have certificate-III or if i can present one year experience as an electrical apprentice; will be enough to get the license. If there is anyway that i can get the license just by presenting the supervised experience under an electrician then how many hours of experience is required. Thanks

  22. Dear Sir,
    I am hardly try to be a licensed electrician here in NSW, the big trouble is I recently come to Australia and I don’t have any experience in this field, can you guide me how can I start? what is the shortest way ?how can I do it? and thank you 😊

    Looking forward to hear from you ,

    Best regards

  23. Hi, I am from South Africa, I hold a Electrical Red seal qualification as an Electrician, I have my Wire-mans licence and registered at the department of labour as a Electrical contractor and i have my National diploma in Electrical Engineering.

    How or what is required to get recognized in Australia.

  24. Am from PNG, with an Electrical Tradesman, have an PNG Power issued Electrical License and have worked in UG mines as an Industrial electricain, but want to sit for a License test for the NSW Electrical licence, is it possible for me to do it online?

    1. Hello Alsem. The Qualify Me! RPL Program (Recognition of Prior Learning) takes your experiences and what you have learned in your years working in Australia and have those arranged, documented and compiled, then assessed to meet the licensing requirements, set by the licensing body of your state. Having said that, you have to have 4-5 years work experience in the field in Australia to be eligible for RPL – if you have that, give us a call on 1800 765 295.

  25. Hi, I would like to get my Electrcal Certificate. I completed my apprenticeship in electrotechnology in 2013 and have my Craft Certificate and all my tafe transcripts of academic record however, there is one unit which I have not passed. UEENEEG105 which is
    “Verify compliance and functionality of low voltage general electrical installations”.
    Is there are short course for me to complete to allow me to go ahead and get my Certificate ?
    If so, cost please? Thankyou TP

    1. Hello Todd. It’s great you have your transcript and apprenticeship finished. If you have 4-5 years work experience in Australia, we can work with that! We can do an assessment of your eligibility for a RPL course for your Certificate you can use towards a license. Give us a call if you’re free. 1800 765 295 (free call)

  26. Licensed plumber / gas fitter with disconnect reconnect licence .I have a lot of experience with electrical wiring on industrial sites especially with the controls side of the HVAC. How hard would it be for me to obtain a NSW electrical licence ?

    1. Hi John, provided you fulfill all requirements, evidences and documents that the course requires, you’ll have a certificate granted to you by an registered RTO. You will need to hold a minimum of 4-5 years experience as a hands-on electrician under the supervision of a licensed electrician in Australia. Please keep in mind, for licensing purposes in NSW, you are required to provide evidence of 12-24 months employment under a licensed electrician in Australia. You can read more about it here: https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/trades-and-businesses/licensing-and-qualifications/electrical#Qualifications

  27. Hi
    I already have PR in Australia will live in Sydney soon. I have electrical license in Hong Kong and work electrical job about 20 years, how can I get the license in NSW?

  28. Hi,
    I am an electrical engineer by qualification. In the past 7 years i am doing doing electrical maintenance jobs like, cranes troubleshooting, installation, and industrial automation etc. If i have to work in crane industry in Australia i have to get electrical license. But as i have an engineering qualification i cant get a license. But i really want to work with cranes. Can some one guide me how to get electrical license , as i have experience in troubleshooting and wiring.

    Thanks In Advance
    Jinu Jacob

    1. Hello Jinu,

      If we haven’t already, a course advisor should be in touch with you real soon to talk you through it.

  29. I have been working with a fully qualified electrician for about 7 years. I’m not employed by him, I am a sole trader as is he but we work together.
    I have also completed my Cert 2 in Electrotechnology through tafe nsw.

    Do I qualify to be certified in the cert 3 in electrotechnology through qualify me?

    1. Hello M.C.

      We can certainly check your eligibility for a C3in Electrotechnology Electrician RPL course with us. If we haven’t already, we’ll give you a call.

  30. Yadwinder Singh

    Hello sir,
    I have 8 years experience in electrical department overseas after 3 year diploma course assessed by TRA.
    I want to be electrician in NSW. Kindly tell me the next step to do.
    Will license obtained in NSW be valid throughout Australia.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top