• All Industries
  • Aged Care Disability
  • Automotive
  • Bricklaying / Blocklaying
  • Building & Construction
  • Carpentry & Joinery
  • Childcare & Education
  • Community Service
  • Concreting
  • Engineering
  • Health & Beauty
  • Horticulture
  • Hospitality and Tourism
  • Kitchen, Bathroom & Laundry Renovation
  • Landscape Construction
  • Other Trade Courses
  • Painting & Decorating
  • Plumbing
  • Roof Tiling
  • Short Courses
  • Wall & Ceiling Lining
  • Wall & Floor Tiling
  • Waterproofing
  • White Collar Courses
Let qualify me, qualify you
Let qualify me, qualify you
Building & Construction Qualify Me Sydney Trades Qualification

QBCC : QBCC when do I and don't I need a trade licence in QLD?

QBCC : Licensing in Queensland (QLD) is fairly straightforward. Here is a short and clear explainer from the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) official site for when you need and when you don't need a licence including how you can get qualified fast via RPL if you have some experience. Trust you will find it helpful

When you don't need a licence from QBCC in QLD

In certain circumstances, you don’t need a Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) licence. This includes carrying out building work as:

  • an employee of a licensee where your employer holds the correct QBCC licence to cover the work you are doing. However, as an employee, you cannot carry out occupational building work or carry out work as a site supervisor unless you hold the appropriate licence
  • sub-trade contractor for a licensed trade contractor where the licensed trade contractor holds the correct QBCC licence to cover the work you are doing
  • an unlicensed person working in partnership with a licensee where the licensed partner holds the correct QBCC licence for the work you are doing. However, as an unlicensed partner, you cannot offer to tender or enter into a contract to carry out building work and you must meet QBCC’s fitness and propriety conditions
  • an owner carrying out work on your own property where the work is valued at no more than $11,000 or as an owner builder carrying out building work under a permit
  • an asbestos removal worker – contact Workplace Health & Safety
  • a demolition worker – contact Workplace Health & Safety
  • an insulation installer – the installation of home insulation in Queensland does not require an licence
  • an electrician carrying out electrical work (an electrician cannot carry out building work without a QBCC licence) – contact the Electrical Safety Office in Workplace Health & Safety
  • a handyman – as long as the value is no more than $3,300, isn't electrical or plumbing work and doesn't require an occupational licence.
  • an architect - carrying out building design work or building inspections on all types of buildings - contact Board of Architects Queensland

When you need a licence from QBCC in QLD

In Queensland, individuals and companies must hold a QBCC licence to carry out:

  • any building work valued over $3,300
  • building work valued over $1,100 where it involves Hydraulic Services Design
  • building work of any value where it involves:
    • Drainage
    • Plumbing and Drainage
    • Gas Fitting
    • Termite Management – Chemical
    • Fire Protection
    • Completed Residential Building Inspection
    • Building Design – Low Rise, Medium Rise and Open
    • Site Classification.


  • The value of building work is the reasonable cost to a consumer of having the work carried out by a licensed contractor on the basis that materials, labour and GST are included, regardless of who supplies the materials. This can sometimes be referred to as the 'market value'.
  • A trust cannot obtain a QBCC licence. The trustee of the trust must apply for the licence.
  • Registered architects are able to carry out building design work and perform building inspections on all types of buildings.  To check if your architect is registered, visit www.boaq.qld.gov.au

Licence classes

The scope of work for each QBCC licence class outlines the range of building work for that class. The building work you do must be covered by your licence. For some work, you may need more than one licence class.

Do employees need a licence?

If you are overseeing work that involves plumbing and drainage, gas fitting, pest control or fire protection, you need a QBCC licence regardless of the value of the work.

If you are an employee, you don’t need a licence unless you become responsible for:

  • Overseeing and directing the building work.
  • Ensuring the work is of a competent standard, i.e. free of defects.
  • Ensuring the work complies with the plans and specifications."

You don't need a licence for every role

We often get asked about certain roles and whether they need to be licenced. Not all jobs in building and construction need a licence. For example, an arborist Brisbane dont need a licence from QBCC. Neither do independent building inspectors performing building and pest inspections Perth.

Need more information?

By now, I’m sure you have a few questions you need to be answered. Call Qualify Me on 1800 765 295 and we’d be happy to help you get sorted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

6 comments on “QBCC : QBCC when do I and don't I need a trade licence in QLD?”

  1. Hi, I have just moved here from nsw and wish to continue my handyman business, but I apparantley need a license as alot of my work is deck building and typically is more then $3300,
    I have run my handyman business for about 4 years but I am not a carpenter, I have a trade qualification in fitting machining and have a cert 4 in front line management, most of my working career outside of my business has been in facilities maintenance and management, am I able to obtain some type of license in qld as most of the decks I build are between $5000 and $8000